Thought I would Share my 65 dart

-

Tracey-speed003

Muscle Car Lovin Guy
Reaction score
Found it 2 years ago, had a 65 Dart GT factory 4 spd 273 in high school and decided to build a bad *** one. So far I have done everything myself minus a couple things, bought an Eastwood powder coating gun. Lots of time on the dash, most of last winter, I have completely rebuilt or replaced front suspension, my brother in law bought a water jet cutter so we made my stiffening plates, all energy suspension bushings, can't figure why most people worry about the outer and inner shells unless they are damaged I never pressed out the outer, wire wheeled the inner and outer and just replaced the old rubber with the poly bushing and pressed back in and is tighter than hell, you can do the same if using rubber again. I was able to get a V8 center link and 73-76 upper control arms for $100 and $80 respectively from a guy in Tacoma, WA and my sister picked them up and brought them to me on her next trip to Spokane. I sourced all of my disc brake conversion separately (all new parts) with drilled and slotted rotors, and got free shipping on each part and saved around $300 over a kit that they all want to much money for and no free shipping. Powder coated all that was possible and used Eastwood detail paint for the rest like tie rod ends. Making my own wiring harness for the whole engine bay, repaired any bad stuff under the dash, all connections soldered and shrink tubed, Ammeter gauge bypassed, sourced my relays my self but using M.A.D.'s system, actually bought 1 relay from him to get his wiring diagram and he sent extra Mopar wiring sheets for free. Battery relocation in trunk of course as you can see by the pictures. The chrome domed washers filling the shock tower area are a $1.49 plumbing washer from Ace Hardware that goes between your faucet and counter. Have saved a lot of money buying nuts bolts screws hole grommets etc. from the hardware store. I am retired and have time to drink beer and stare at the car and think a lot, the little ferrules for your door lock pull I got at Ace in the pull out bins for furniture repair parts for .49 cents, ya black instead stainless but fit tight, look good and will never rust like my old ones, although it will never sit for 20 some years again. This car was a barn find with out the barn. Hope ya enjoy the pics and updates to come. Tracey-Speed003

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_2135.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2162.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

Power steering going away, P-S-T 16:1 manual (with member discount) with u joint coupler going in and adding a dust boot to clean up the look, And I used the insert flange bearing on the bottom of my column that I read about on here.

Love the hardware store bits! Im all about adapting stuff to use for these unobtainable parts. How's that powder coat gun work? Lots of prep of part before you shoot it, ie. totally grease free? I deal with wire all day so Im not scared to make a crimped 18 stranded harness when they are $300 new.

Yes grease free, I had my LCAs hot tanked and blasted cool dude at machine shop only charged me $20 then wipe down with rubbing alcohol with gloves, no body oils, the rest of the stuff I wired wheeled and wiped down and works great, wiring all 12 gauge update soldered and shrink tube, have original wiring diagram taped to the car as my bible, using correct colors.

I see a lot of nice work here. Looks like you are having fun! It is going to be really cool when you get done!

Thank you Toolmanmike, the water jet cutter is nice, able to make the plate for my dual oil filters then powder coat aluminum, couple more smaller ones will go on driver side and hide a lot of the wiring and I will mount my relays to it, should be pretty clean looking.

Rear tires are 245/45-R17 10" x 17" wheels and right now still the stock 7-1/4 rear with 1" thick 5 x 4" to 5 x 4-1/2" adapters and no clearance problems, without adapters would have rubbed on leaf springs, the mustang 8.8 that I want to put in is 2" wider than the stock rear so then no adapters and will look the same as now. Fronts are 215/45-R17 on 8" rims

IMG_2175.JPG

You guys need to chat in a personal message. We don't want your build thread to turn into a swap meet. Thanks

Installed SER205-16 1" insert bearing which has a 2" OD and 1" ID and since the 65 Dart has a 3/4" shaft I ordered a 1" OD x 3/4" ID X 1" long steel bushing, using a piece of pipe and wheel bearing grease I tapped in the insert bearing ( need to use a bit of force) then more grease and tapped in bushing (again a bit of force) tightened set screws and will never have to do it again, One tight fit and shaft turns with ease. Now a new
Steering column 2.jpg
Steering column.jpg
motorcycle front shock dust boot and stainless u joint coupler and it will look nice. PST 16:1 manual steering box in the Fed Ex system from Jersey arriving in about 5 days.

Some update photos, PST 16:1 manual installed, with the steering shaft length difference between power and manual steering I bought a 3/4"-36 spline (correct for the steering gear) x 1"- 48 spline u joint steering coupler because I couldn't find a 1" smooth, and bought a 1" OD x 3/4" x ID x 2" bushing, using a die grinder removed the splines on the 1" end of u joint and put a groove in the bushing for the set screw and it was a perfect fit, drilled a hole on other end of bushing for the steering shaft and used a grade 8 bolt and all is good, and some wiring updates, installing a digital volt meter under hood since I don't like under dash gauges, If at the time I installed my oil pressure gauge in my dash I would have known about the ammeter delete (which I have done) I could have put a matching volt meter next to it. Headlight relays and MSD box wiring done and almost done with new blade style fuse box and under dash wiring of additional accessories, and will probably finish firewall area wiring today or tomorrow. Also scored a back seat top and bottom in very nice shape out of a 64 from a guy locally for $40.00, it was Blue and I used the Dupli-color vinyl dye and with the adhesion promoter and dyed it Black, will probably have it done to match bucket seats once I decide on how I am am going to do them but don't have to look at the ugly old Blue vinyl in the mean time.
thumbnail_IMG_2430.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2431.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2432.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2437.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2438.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2451.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Nice work. My first car was a blue 64gt, 273 2brl 4 spd single exhaust. Neat little cars. Keep up the great work. Subscribed

Very cool!

I’m just outside of Spokane. Cool to see other locals.

Wow great build.
I noticed you are running a magnum and was wondering what you are doing for exhaust? That cool red covering over the steering coupler looks good but if are using TTI headers it will be real tight.

:thumbsup:

Wow great build.
I noticed you are running a magnum and was wondering what you are doing for exhaust? That cool red covering over the steering coupler looks good but if are using TTI headers it will be real tight.

:thumbsup:
I may change my mind on the 360 magnum, I found a possible 340 a couple hrs away, but no matter which I think I am going to use block hugger and hope to have none or very little modifications to them, but can do if need be, won't know till the V8 is in but I think since I went to that PST manual box I will be ok, the size difference between them is very noticeable when laid next to each other. But almost any thing can be cut re tig welded by my expert buddy so fingers crossed, I have already modified my trans cross member for the dual exhaust change, and thank you guys for the compliments, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

I am in Spokane Valley 99206 area code, we might see each other at Goodguys or?

You're probably not far from my parents, they are west of you just on the edge of the line between city and valley. I'm actual about 40 miles west of Spokane.

Maybe if Goodguys happens again. I expect I will be around in my Duster a fair amount since I sold my Challenger, unless the projects I have planned for this winter derail it and I don't get to drive it like I hope. Will be watching for you.

That is funny, I grew up and graduated in Cheney, well actually Four Lakes area we lived on 320 acres which is now Fairways golf course that my dad started along time ago. You must be close to Sprague then, My ex brother in law but still family which dates back to the 70's lives in Sprague, his name is Dan Salter

-
Back