auto 727 3000 stall
3:73 Dana 60
28 in tire
street/strip use
Cam specs (attached
Thanks for any and all input
.......sabre67:thankyou:

hughes cam.jpg

If dave at hughes recommend this cam it’s probably a good cam for your combo. If you had more compression especially with your aluminum heads, you could go a couple bigger but that would also require a bit more converter in your 727.

Thanks for your input,Yes that is the cam Dave reccomended. Just a fun to drive street ride is what Im after. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Most guys always go with the bigger is better approach on cams and thus most guys do not have the optimum cam in their engines. However I street drove a Ford 351 Windsor with a 232/236 @ .050" duration for many years without any negative effects. For what you have listed engine wise I personally would go to a 230/236 range and it will still be a perfect street cam.

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...c2VkIERlY2sp&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30256

If anything it will take just touch out of the tire spinning bottom end and give you a lot more mid and upper rpm range.

Tom

Thanks for your input,Yes that is the cam Dave reccomended. Just a fun to drive street ride is what Im after. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

Ask Dave if he can adjust it to a 108 instead of a 110. This adjustment will add more torque and is a little better for a 383.

I already have the cam sitting on my bench, so hope it works out for me. Thanks for all your help:thumbsup:

Yeah that's a good cam for what you have, you'll be happy.

I ran a cam with the same intake duration, and a bit more exhaust duration but less lift, on a stock stroke 400 with similar gears and convertor. It was a good street cam and I managed to run high 12's in the quarter.

That is a good cam just may run out of rpm before you want it to. Should be very responsive and a blast to drive with your setup.

I have a similar custom grind Jones cam in my 383. 9:1 comp, 906 heads, TTI headders, 3.91 gears 26" tire. Made 400HP on the dyno and 430+ ft lbs torque. (over 400 ft lbs form 3000-5200) Idles well doesn't overheat, great street manners.

218/225, .340 lift with 1.6 rockers. 109 LSA

Garth

My advice is to make sure to select a camshaft. It will run better if you do.

hello all,just wanted some input on cam choice Im using
70 Dart Swinger
383 cu in 9.1 CR TTI headers,780 holley,Edelbrock RPM Hesds
auto 727 3000 stall
3:73 Dana 60
28 in tire
street/strip use
Cam specs (attached
Thanks for any and all input
.......sabre67:thankyou:

View attachment 1715967245
Well are you out rippin *** around town yet ?

no not yet,health issues causing a bit of delay,but workin on it. thanks...sabre67

Looks like a good choice, maybe a bit more stall but then you would have to consider how much street and how much strip. I’d say that’s about as radical a cam as I’d street drive. I always seem to pick too small a cam worrying about street manners.

The folks who pick the 'too small a cam' are usually happier than those who choose too big...

If you look at most dyno cam shootouts you can go to about 220• before you start trading bottom end for top.

If you look at most dyno cam shootouts you can go to about 220• before you start trading bottom end for top.
I pretty much agree with this in stock sized small blocks. A bunch depends on the rest of the particulars involved. I have a 224*@050 in the wife’s Cuda w/a 360 backed with a custom converter, 904 & 3.55’s rolling on 26” tires. The car is relatively light. It drives like a stock car would.

Also on my sons ‘91 - W150 4spd truck, I have the small Comp Thumper @227 on the intake duration. It behaves and drives surprisingly excellent. It is a 10.5-1 - 360.
4spd manual - 3.55’s turning 28” tires. I really wasn’t sure how well this combo would work.

A lot of how big of a cam you can get away with, with certain manor’s, while being subjective, is a variable that is not only engine combo dependent but the entire vehicle combo. One last thing to this is the actual cam itself. How are the lobes cut and where the timing events are.

Truly the sage advice given over the years is still perfect.
When in doubt, use the smaller cam.
I can tell any new guy here that choosing to big of a cam can really suck.

-
Back