Thoughts on how to fix a depression in the roof

-

jcolman

Reaction score
This isn't an "ordinary" dent. I have a round spot on the roof of my Duster that has settled about 1/4". The spot is about 2' in diameter. I suspect that whoever built the car used a lot of bondo there and it's pulling away from the skin. I ran a magnet over the depression and found no metal. I don't know the full history of the car so I can't really tell much more. I really don't want to have to replace the roof but it's looking like I may have to go that route unless one of you body experts has another idea.

EDIT: I fixed it with a strong magnet. I guess there wasn't any bondo like I first thought.

IMG_20220115_164133.jpg

IMG_20220115_164250.jpg

Last edited:
Talk to it kindly, tell it that it's time and effort is valuable.

:rofl:

Ok, so, on a serious reply, it will be hard to pull off without cracking the paint. The only real way to to take the headliner out - Quarter window comes out if it is the cardboard type - and asses the damage. May need shrinking the metal.

Wow. That car is eating you out of house and home.

Gotta be careful buying cars from dealers.

Wow. That car is eating you out of house and home.

Gotta be careful buying cars from dealers.
Yeah, I know. However most of the expenses I've incurred are because of the upgrades I'm making to the car. It's going back into the shop in a few weeks for a transmission swap. I'm ditching the 727 and putting in a TKX 5 speed.

I just watched a video about the process. The problem is that as soon as the car sits out in the sun for a while, the dent will likely reappear.
One car we did was just like yours, never came back even sitting at car shows in the sun. You may have to remove the headliner and see what the under bracing looks like...

Not sure you have much to loose. You could push it up from inside. Sure looks like someone sat their butt on it.

You say it just appeared one day?

I doubt that Bondo delaminating from the substrate would do that. I would expect the opposite.

Not sure you have much to loose. You could push it up from inside. Sure looks like someone sat their butt on it.

You say it just appeared one day?

I doubt that Bondo delaminating from the substrate would do that. I would expect the opposite.
Yes. I noticed it after the car sat in the sun at a car show. I suppose someone "could" have dented it while I was wandering around the show but I highly doubt it.

man, no metal in the roof? jesus. I have never seen those types of dealers; I don't know why, but you see them all over hemmings and there is just something off about a lot of those cars.

Talk to it kindly, tell it that it's time and effort is valuable.

:rofl:

Ok, so, on a serious reply, it will be hard to pull off without cracking the paint. The only real way to to take the headliner out - Quarter window comes out if it is the cardboard type - and asses the damage. May need shrinking the metal.
- and asses the damage ?:rolleyes:

I've got a sneaking hunch that at one time it had an aftermarket sunroof in it, and was patched/filled in during the rebuild process. It may even still be missing some roof bracing, in which case you may be looking at more than just a roof skin replacement. Only way to know for sure is to pull the headliner and take a peek at the underside...

I've got a sneaking hunch that at one time it had an aftermarket sunroof in it, and was patched/filled in during the rebuild process. It may even still be missing some roof bracing, in which case you may be looking at more than just a roof skin replacement. Only way to know for sure is to pull the headliner and take a peek at the underside...
I hadn't thought of that. You might be right.

I hadn't thought of that. You might be right.
You might be able to feel (or not) the braces through the headliner. Did you try and push it at all? Might be able to pop it right out until next time But Id really like to hear more about the dry ice trick.

You might be able to feel (or not) the braces through the headliner. Did you try and push it at all? Might be able to pop it right out until next time But Id really like to hear more about the dry ice trick.
I tried to push up on it but the headliner prevented me from making good contact. I'll have to bite the bullet and pull the headliner out.

Kind of depends on if it's the ABS/cardboard headliner or fabric- the hard headliner would make it tough.
One of the "paintless" dent removal services may be able to advise you too.

Anyone on the thread have a pic of the underside of the roof with a headliner removed?Should be able to determine if support brace was cut by location of dent.RJ

It's not a daily driver though. Years ago I had a Shelby Cobra replica that was my weekend toy. I can count on one hand how many times I had to put the top up on it.
Well, that was a Ford. So cut the roof off then.

-
Back