Thoughts on Road Trips to Car Shows in Your Classic

-
I was kinda thinking the same. We will see how the backroads go on the way there and then decide for the return trip. I think we will take an extra day going forward, leaving on Thursday so we have all day Fri and Sat for the show vs trying to relax and enjoy the drive while also trying to make some time to get to the show at a decent time.
Have fun and be safe, hug the guys for me! Me and Zman will have a toast to all y’all! We will be in KC Saturday.

Have fun and be safe, hug the guys for me! Me and Zman will have a toast to all y’all! We will be in KC Saturday.

Will do, safe travels John. You and Z have a great time, supervision is important.

I took a short trip this past weekend.
Partial back roads on they way there as I met up with a friend.

Country curves and hills are fun, especially with a 4 speed, makes the ride seem faster, keeps the rpms down.

Also, dips, trees, driving by lakes, gives you cool spots, temperature wise, to drive through.

Took the highway back as we were driving alone, wanted to get home, later in the day so not as busy or hot.

Added plus to running the backroads is helping out some of the small town businesses that have been struggling the last couple years.
I took mostly secondary roads yesterday from Wall, South Dakota to Great Falls Montana. Not only was the scenery far better, the traffic was almost nonexistent and only a couple small areas of construction. Only real downside is little or no roadside rest stops.

If my wife goes, we take the back roads if it just a few hours drive. She likes to stop in antique stores as do I. If it’s longer than a few hours or just me It’s the highway 75mph or a little more. Depending on the day of the week and what highway. I will not drive any car new or old on I35 (highway of death) anywhere in Texas. I don’t go to any local car shows because I prefer to drive the car and not sit around all day looking at cars. So we usually find a show in another city and make a weekend out of it. Some of the small towns we'll hang out for bit and walk around the town. That way we both get something out of it. HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.

I was kinda thinking the same. We will see how the backroads go on the way there and then decide for the return trip. I think we will take an extra day going forward, leaving on Thursday so we have all day Fri and Sat for the show vs trying to relax and enjoy the drive while also trying to make some time to get to the show at a decent time.
The backroads in WI are getting real bad. (A lot of them) if you care for your vehicle check road conditions

The backroads in WI are getting real bad. (A lot of them) if you care for your vehicle check road conditions

We plan to take 73 to 54 to 10 all the way across. Many here are bad and up north, not sure on the west side of 10. If too bad, we will detour on freeway, unless you know ahead of time. 10 from Nielsville to MN

Our club's motto:

I Drive My $hit (2).JPEG

In 2019 several club members, and I, drove from metro-Detroit to St. Ignace, MI (on the north side of the Mackinac Bridge) for their annual show. Some of the guys drove at "posted" speeds, others meandered along and others towed their cars. We planned 3 stops for gas, food & rest rooms. We also played "road trip poker" where $20 gets you 2 cards to start, then an additional card at every stop. The best poker hand won the pot (a buddy's 11 year old son won the pot). Road tripping with friends is an awesome experience. And, if we had a break down the broken car would go into one of the trailers. It was a great trip!

Well, just to recap we did take the 2 lane roads on the way to MITP. Driving for 6 hours and it was wonderful except for a bunch was directly into the setting sun. On the way home we took the freeways, only because it was going to be the drier route (we were north of the rain and behind it most of the way). Only rained the last 90 minutes or so. All in, each has its advantages, but the 2 lane roads were much more enjoyable.

In just speaking of getting somewhere, small towns, stop and go, agricultural slow downs, etc can/could/will add much more time and could negate the mileage advantage of going slower.

Lemme get this straight, you're driving a 71 GSS Demon and your worried about gas mileage??? :lol:

Back in the 90s I use to make an annual pilgrimage down to Spring Fling in Van Nuys. Did it in my 67 Dart twice and my 67 Fury vert a few times. As I built nicer cars I got lazy and bought a 24’ enclosed. Now that I’m driving more suitable cars I am going back to driving instead of trailering. I’m planning on driving my 66 Valiant to Fall Fling with some possible trips after the 1st of the year. I’ve focused more on the mechanical reliability than the looks.

Lemme get this straight, you're driving a 71 GSS Demon and your worried about gas mileage??? :lol:

Everyone in the group was more curious. To be fair, I only got beat by the /6 car despite my 440, tunnel ram and 660s. 12mpg was pretty darn good

Everyone in the group was more curious. To be fair, I only got beat by the /6 car despite my 440, tunnel ram and 660s. 12mpg was pretty darn good
I got 12ish with my smog engine with minor hop ups. I'd rather have your combo.

-
Back