Thread sealer/ locker on PRW rocker shaft ends

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These PRW rocker shaft mounting holes were modified to accept a geometry relocation kit. I pulled the end plugs to ensure cleanliness. I heated the Allen headed plugs to loosen whatever the sealer/locker is and removed them.

Now I am wondering what to replace this sealer/locker with. Good old red loctite doesn’t seem like the correct candidate. The stuff I cleaned out seemed a lot more aggressive. These Allen plugs are metric btw. I pulled the threads on them a little despite the use of heat. I think they may have been over tightened a little or maybe too much pressure applied to them during some operations.

I plan on finding replacement plugs but I do have them working again after some work with a thread file.

Use a dab of blue locktite. There really isn’t a bunch of load on those plugs.

I put mine back it with nothing on them when I pulled mine to clean the shafts.

Use a dab of blue locktite. There really isn’t a bunch of load on those plugs.

I put mine back it with nothing on them when I pulled mine to clean the shafts.
I am overthinking it I guess. I was more concerned of loss of oil passed the threads.

The correct Loctite product would probably be #545 which is used on hydraulic fitttings. It's not real cheap. Having said that, I would put a good coat of commonly available Permatex #1 on the threads and send it. I've used #1 to repair about three dozen BMW cast aluminum oil pans and the repair bushing I make is threaded into the pan with #1 on the threads. No leaks.

As a matter of fact, I have a set of those rockers that will get a correction kit, and I WILL use #1 on the plugs.

You could really probably use silicone if you wanted. Even at 100 psi it’s pretty hard to get a lot of oil past the threads.

-
Back