Throttle cable and carb gasket/spacer questions

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Dad and I are continuing to put his car together, got a few more things hooked up. I have 2 more questions....for now...more to follow Im sure!

1. Throttle cable, see pics....You can see the hole in the firewall where the throttle cable feeds thru and then the ball end of the cable slides in the bracket, but does it feed thru from the engine bay side, or come in from the passenger compartment?? See the end in the 2nd pic, it looks like there should be a "C" clip, grommet or something to fix it to the hole in firewall.

2. With the new Eddy 1405, the butterflys hit a little and I have a very thin spacer that will work perfect. Should I gasket one sideof the spacer?? Both sides??

Again, thanks for all the input dad and I both appreciate it!

Thanks
4spdragtop

Attachments

• DSCF6839 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCF6844 (Medium).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 416
  • DSCF6845 (Medium).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCF6848 (Medium).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 389
Cable goes in from engine bay to cabin. Sould be a clip to hold the sheath in the firewall. Ball end goes to the pedal.
I dont know what intake or what spacer you need. Thicker the spacer the better in most cases.

If i was you i would just get a square bore gasket ,leave the shim out , it to no advantage to you , that gasket i am not sure what it is , maybe holley, does not even look like a spread bore .What i used on my dart was a gasket 1 inch spacer another gasket then the 1406 eddy , and i purchased the proper , bracket for throttle cable , and throttle pressure , with the spacer in or out i notice no difference in the car . The throttle bracket you need is a #1481 edelbrock works perfect , makes it a lot easier than trying to bend stuff , you may already have it not sure.

Gasket both sides. Metal to metal won't seal, if you have more than one, stack them up with gasket between each which will make a nice thermal barrier as stated.

Thanks everyone, I have more spacers, so I will see if I have a square bore spacer. The gasket is the new original from the 1405 Eddy.

Thanks
Steve

You should use the Edelbrock # 2732 steel spacer with that carb if you want it to seal to the manifold properly. That is the part they recommend for mopar installations.

The throttle cable is secured to the pedal assembly with an "E" clip in that narrow groove. The clip is installed in the passenger compartment.

There is a small button that goes in the keyhole opening in the pedal arm. Once the ball is fed through the large part of the keyhole, the button keeps the ball from dropping back & releasing from the pedal. If you don't have the button, you can use a trim fastener - the plastic part that looks like a christmas tree with all the little barbs. Just shove it in the hole. A gob of Silicone sealant works too.

B.

Thanks Bohica, I knew how the throttle cable mounted to the pedal, but couldnt/cant figure out how it sat in the firewall. So a little "E/C" clip?? If I install that, it is still going to wobble around in the firewall...am I maybe missing something else??

As far as I know, just the flange on the cable housing end in the engine compartment, and the "E" clip in the passenger compartment is all there is.

If there was a foam gasket or seal of some sort OEM, I have never seen one in a 40+ year old car. Once the carb end of the cable housing is anchored to the engine it should not move much.

B.

There should be a rubber thing along with the C clip if I remember right. Rubber part would act as a grommet.

There should be a rubber thing along with the C clip if I remember right. Rubber part would act as a grommet.

Thanks George, I will post a pic of what dad and I were thinking was a rubber grommet that fit perfect on the cable...but the inside of it looked threaded....will post pics on Thursday

First off thanks everyone!! Dad and I went and picked up some stuff yesterday and we are getting closer!! what we were missing and needed was a rubber grommet, washer and the clip for the groove. Cable is hooked up in the pedal, but now have issues with the kickdown and throttle linkage. The carb is a new Eddy 1405 and we are hoping to pick up Saturday the Eddy #1481 adapter. But can you take a look at these new pics and let me know if these are mounted wrong?? Sorry for the odd crummy pic, it is a 273 4bbl/904 combo. The pics are from dads 67 factory service manual. If you notice the throttle bracket in the manual is different WTH??? Im 100% certain that the one I installed on dads engine is correct.

Thanks
4spdragtop

Attachments

• DSCF6887 (Medium).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCF6884 (Medium).jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF6882 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF6880 (Medium).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF6879 (Medium).jpg