Throwing in the towel on my 68 Barracuda project.

-

Russ H

Reaction score
Hi all, its been a while since I've been here at A Bodies. I just returned home from having triple bypass surgery and reality is setting in. I have an ongoing restoration project (68 Barracuda Notchback) that I now know will never be finished. My wish would be to sell it complete knowing that I will never recover close to my investment. If all else fails, I would consider parting it out. I know others here have been placed in my position and am seeking advise on how to proceed from here.

Russ

I don't know in Hell better shape the car is or what the condition of the body or the engine are , but I would keep it and do what you can and just have fun with it. Just make it a driver. Don't go overboard on trying to restore it. I did that once since I've been paralyzed and I'll never do it again. Everything else is going to be a driver.

Patience!

All seems bad at the moment, but time can heal a lot of things! I am truly sorry for your misfortunes but you may want to just chill and have some time to think about it. While I have not suffered this setback my older brother has and he had much the same outlook. Only 2 years older than me but time and good decisions have got him back on the right track. If this car is in your dreams then take some time to heal and gather part's for a glorious return! JMO!

don't make a decision too quickly. I've seen many people recover from bypass surgery. where are you located? maybe I can give you a hand with something.

Hi all, its been a while since I've been here at A Bodies. I just returned home from having triple bypass surgery and reality is setting in. I have an ongoing restoration project (68 Barracuda Notchback) that I now know will never be finished. My wish would be to sell it complete knowing that I will never recover close to my investment. If all else fails, I would consider parting it out. I know others here have been placed in my position and am seeking advise on how to proceed from here.

Russ
Just so you know, Jesus Christ died for you and He cares for you!
No matter what happens next, He'll be right there with you if you let Him...

Hey Russ. Don't throw towel yet
Recoup then make it a driver. Get it on the road and drive it
I'm in the same boat I got a 70 dart swinger 340 # match. Plum crazy black interior white vinyl top
Took it apart in 1983 (in x wife's name) I mean totally apart
Divorce College at 30 life in way till 2011. Silent heart attacks. Didn't know
No options. For heart repair
EF @ 25 Got built in defiibrillator
( I tell the women I gat a built in vibrator )
add COPD in there Oh well
On Disability @ 1/3 my salary
Gonna glue rivit dart back together
Rebuild the 340 and 4 speed
Paint with a brush Anyway any how
I will be driving my car and having fun
Hang in there
Next guy can restore it

Hi Russ. I've been down that same road about 2 1/2 years ago and it's not much fun as you know. I have to agree with 1969383S though. Great advice. It took me a while after the surgery to get back into my NHRA stock eliminator racing but it's the best thing that I ever did. The car is running great, I actually think that my driving has gotten better (probably just wishful thinking :steering:) and I'm having a great time being at the track or working on the car, but the most important thing that I discovered is that I have a great support group in my friends and family for any help. So the car sits for a while. Gives you time to plan the things that you want to get done when your ready or get the parts that you might need. That's what I did and it most definitely worked out GREAT!

Ken
Edison, NJ

Hi Russ. I've been down that same road about 2 1/2 years ago and it's not much fun as you know. I have to agree with 1969383S though. Great advice. It took me a while after the surgery to get back into my NHRA stock eliminator racing but it's the best thing that I ever did. The car is running great, I actually think that my driving has gotten better (probably just wishful thinking :steering:) and I'm having a great time being at the track or working on the car, but the most important thing that I discovered is that I have a great support group in my friends and family for any help. So the car sits for a while. Gives you time to plan the things that you want to get done when your ready or get the parts that you might need. That's what I did and it most definitely worked out GREAT!

Ken
Edison, NJ

Great post!

It is hard to watch some go through this never mind be that person! Family and friends make all the difference! Good positive upbeat response to a bad situation! My brother has had 2 stints since the triple bypass but still hits the gym 6 days a week and in my opinion has never looked or acted better. You can whip it!

Thank you all for the kind words and your thoughts. I have been considering this for some time now, even before the health issues. I have owned the Barracuda for 12 or 15 years and have enjoyed it immensely. I don't see myself finishing it and would love for it go to someone who would. I have been buying parts and having others restored for years now. The drive train is all new from the never started 408, 4-speed and 391 sure grip. I will do as you all suggest and think about it a while but would love to find it a new home. Thanks again for the support

Russ

give it a little time - you'll figure it out- good luck. fwiw, I'd sell as a project car vs. parting out.

You got the wind taken from your sails, don't take them off the mast. The wind may blow again. When you stow them away the trip is over.

Hey Russ, Why don't you contact that show garage squad? They may be able to help you with your build. At least you would get the help you need and get it back on the road and enjoy it. Life is to live. Get yourself healed up and enjoy that car. I have the same car (1968 notchback) and been working on it for a while myself. There is no rush in these projects. Get well soon. It there is anything I can do to help (questions/advice) don't hesitate to message me.

Hey Russ what state is the notch in? I scavenged some parts today off of a 68 notch. Lemme know if you need anything. Be glad to help.

Don't throw in the towel. You are working on a project. Let the project help you. It will take your mind off your current situation. Thinking about my project lets me get away from the curve balls that are thrown at me all the time. Get well soon.

I can only admire your ability to make a decision. I wouldn't attempt to sway you one way or the other. Me... I offer to sell my 67 vert project in one week, then turn around and spend a couple more hun' on it the next week.
As for the bypass surgery, My dad got a 5 way bypass. I forget how many years ago, at least 20. Today we've all lost count of how many stints have been installed, 9? 11? Anyway... He hit 75 yrs old last December. Although I don't know how old you are, I have to think it's far from over or hopeless mate. Best wishes to you going forward.

Sound like you are going through a reality check. Don't rush though. You may be correct on not finishing but there also may be other paths to completion you haven't thought of. We all hope you get your health up and can function a bit normally before you throw in the towel!

Russ,
Please wait a few months before you make a final decision. Before you Lung Transplant, I had about 13% of normal lung function. I had not worked on my 66 Barracuda in a long time. I was ready to sell it. I am now at about 58%. I am looking forward to working on a little this summer. As was said above, it's a little like therapy. Don't worry about recovery time, we all heal and rehab at a different rate.
Part of your recovery and rehab will be to keep us all informed on you are doing.
My best to you and your family!!
Mike

Thank you all for your good thoughts and concern that has been shown, I appreciate it very much. I am almost 67 years old now and still am thinking it would be best to find it a new home. Steve, I live in Western New York about 80 miles south of Buffalo. Thank you for the offer of parts I may need. I have most everything here to put it back together. Thanks again everyone.

Russ

Hey don't give up on yourself! I have big time heart problems too and a couple years ago was going to the ER every few weeks! I really thought I was going to die and nothing would be finished. But through working out, getting rid of stressful people in my life, and MUCH prayer I am now in the position where I can work on my Duster again - for a few hours at a time anyway. And one day it will be finished. Hang in there, friend!

Hey Russ,
We have many things in common: we are the same age, we both have notchback Barracudas, and most important, we are both alive. I had a sudden cardiac arrest a little more than 5 years ago, and for the first couple of days I was only given a 50/50 chance to live.
After a heart incident, some depression is very common. About 2 years later I bought the car, because I was hoping to get a fun project to work on. I consider it very uplifting therapy for the mind and body. I can't do a lot of the heavy stuff, but I enjoy doing what I can.
Just like you, I had to make decisions and re-evaluate my priorities. I support you in whatever you decide.
Finally, I got off work early today and came home and worked an hour on the car -- and loved it! I wish you the best on your health.
Gary

No problem Russ. Some people need advice/motivation/time/$$, you name it to keep their project moving fwd.
I hope you are able to keep moving fwd with it BUT its only a car. We all love them but like anything in life, if the cons outweigh the pros, it/they may not be worth hanging onto (due to stress)
Good luck whichever you choose to do!
Ps Im in Ontario 2 hrs east of Toronto. My doors open if you are ever up this way.
My 69 ragtop ive owned for 25 years and its at least 5 more away from being done....dammit lol
Thank you all for your good thoughts and concern that has been shown, I appreciate it very much. I am almost 67 years old now and still am thinking it would be best to find it a new home. Steve, I live in Western New York about 80 miles south of Buffalo. Thank you for the offer of parts I may need. I have most everything here to put it back together. Thanks again everyone.

Russ

Feel your pain. If you are not hurting for the money I would just sit on it for awhile. You are probably dealing with a little depression and down in the dumps not seeing any progress on the horizon. Things will get better and you will have a better outlook on things as you heal. Just hate to see you give up on your project, sell it and then down the road when you are feeling better you kick yourself for selling it.

Are you a member of a Mopar club in your local area? If not, maybe join and make friends with some of them. I know my club is so great that some of our members are helping other members put their cars back together right now.

Whichever way to decide to go, selling or finishing, I wish you luck.

-
Back