Tie rod orientation

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
So previous owner did alot of crazy sketchy stuff, including two different ways of installing tie rods.

I believe the correct way for the new ones is stud pointing up on outer, and pointing down on inner? It is a 71 with 73+ center link/pitman/idler

Correct?

Also, any tips on getting the doman dust caps to work with my new Raybestos rotors? It is really testing my intelligence or lack of lol

So previous owner did alot of crazy sketchy stuff, including two different ways of installing tie rods.

I believe the correct way for the new ones is stud pointing up on outer, and pointing down on inner? It is a 71 with 73+ center link/pitman/idler

Correct?

Also, any tips on getting the doman dust caps to work with my new Raybestos rotors? It is really testing my intelligence or lack of lol
That sounds right, but because of the taper on the tie rod ends studs, they will only fit one way.
For the dust caps, I usually take a pliers and just barely tweak the very edge inwards. Then tap them on using an appropriately sized socket or piece of tubing. They make actual drivers for that, but I've never felt the need to spend money on one...

Last edited:
I just bought new dust caps and they WILL NOT go on/in without grinding. I compared originals vs new and new is bigger by approx .050 AND metal is thicker. I'm grinding until it's close and then into the freezer.

20210812_123608.jpg
20210812_123459.jpg

SAME HERE!! I dont wanna say how much time I spent trying to tap it in lol. I got the calipers out and measured overall diameter and thickness. Definitely a difference. I didnt wanna smash the heck outta the new caps lol, altho I was tempted.
Thanks for posting! I thought I was loosing my mind

-
Back