Time delay relay

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It is used to turn on an optional lamp (A01light package on my 69 Cuda) around the ignition switch and then after closing the door, it turns off after approx 10-30 secs. burnt one of these out by leaving the door open too long. wondered if anyone has built or found a a modern digital TD relay that could be substituted??
F1646F13-6B81-4B29-ABEC-BA89F86D6151.jpeg

C72660D2-678D-4975-B967-6AD7A77E807F.jpeg

I have not but no reason why not. Start by searching ebay, maybe. There's a lot of BS and "china" to wade through but you can learn a few things and get a few sample part numbers, etc, to get you branched out. I have not bought anything from Mourser Electronics for awhile, but they used to not have a minimum, and were very friendly to small orders. Digikey another

You have to be careful what you order. Some time delays energize the load upon trigger on, and delay to off, others don't energize the load until after the delay upon being triggered. Some cycle, some are one shot, etc.

It is used to turn on an optional lamp (A01light package on my 69 Cuda) around the ignition switch and then after closing the door, it turns off after approx 10-30 secs. burnt one of these out by leaving the door open too long. wondered if anyone has built or found a a modern digital TD relay that could be substituted??
View attachment 1715752230
View attachment 1715752233

Auto Zone sells them. Duralast 19390. Put one in mine couple years back for $12.

They were used into the late 80's in trucks and vans, mounted on the fuse block far left end of the dash, have to open the driver's door to get to it. FWIW if you go junkyarding.

Still available from Mopar parts. Was used into the 2000+ model years.

Standard parts has them and many more. Likely your local Chrysler dealer has them.

Last edited:
----------and I bet it's still 40 year old technology, using a heater and a bimetal strip LOL

Finding a modern TDDO relay equivalent is not as simple as I thought with only 3 wires. For The stock thermal relay, when the door closes, the relay coil de-energizes but the contacts remain closed until the bimetallic strip cools down and then they open to turn off the ignition light.

Looks like an original type replacement is the best way to go. Thanks to everyone for the feedback
Jim

Y'gotta figure, Chrysler did the job with that same dingus from what, like 1967 through 2000ish…seems like probably just about the right solution!

-
Back