Time for a new power steering box: removal/install tips

-

340fourspeedDuster

Reaction score
My current power steering box in the '75 Duster has turned into the Exxon Valdez. Leaking everywhere. The vehicle has a 340 with Hooker Super Comp headers.
Anyone have tips on removal and replacing the box with this configuration? Looks like I will have to lift the driver's side of the engine up some to get that puppy out. Would like to NOT have to remove the header on that side. Suggestions from folks that have been in my situation appreciated.

I believe with headers...your sunk. Its barely possible with manifolds.

Drop the k member. It's so simple. My 7 year old daughter worked the jack while I guided the k member out and in with the box attached. I used a cheap harbor freight engine support bar and un bolted the idler and Pitman arms, sway bar, steering column and removed the torsion bars. I left the balljoints and control arms attached. Made it pretty simple to get to the bolts on the steering box once it was hanging down.

why not remove the driver header. Is it that involved? Its a one piece that captures the torsion bar, right? Sounds less involved than Redrams but not as fun.

Its a chore anyway you go about it. Mount the new box clean and dry with a drop of blue locktite on each bolt. Torque them evenly. These 3 bolts have a history of working loose. You might even find special bolt heads there ( 12 point 7/16 socket I think ). Good luck with it.

That job, I would never drop the k member, but It's up to you. Removed the left side exhaust header, disconnect the engine mounts. You'll need to disconnect the steering column and pull it back to get it out of the steering box. Try not the let the cuppler come apart. Removed the pitman arm... this can be a battle! Removed the two lines. Jack the engine up enough to get the box out. Unbolt and removed. It does make it easier to get it out of there if you remove the master cylinder if you power brakes too. Make sure you have beer. This job sucks
:-(

Last edited:
Is Belgian beer approved for this job? Oh sure, a pint before you start the job. But wait until the next day before the test drive!

Last time I replaced my steering box, I dropped the whole K-Frame. That may or may not be an option for you, unless you wanted to drop it to beef the K-Frame up. You'll be amazed how much that steering box mount flexes.

-
Back