Time to order wheels and tires.

-

swifty

Reaction score
Its time to order wheels for my 72 Swinger. It has an 8 1/4 BBP with 73 disks in front. I have QA1 tubular control arms and the rest is stock. I have been looking at 215/50/17 in front and 245/45/17 in back. Will these fit without any modifications? I have been thinking 8" bullet wheels with 30 backspace.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/wheel-replicas-mustang-bullet/p/56708

Am I in the ballpark for fitting? Will I need spacers with there wheels? Any one running the BF G Force 2 A/S?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-g-force-comp-2-a-s/p/29877

I am not real sure of what I am doing so any advice will be helpful.

So those rims are 17x8 with a 30mm offset. Which works out to be a 5.7” backspace. They also have a 71mm hub bore.

So, a couple of things. With a 17” rim the outer tie rod can interfere with thr lip of the rim. That can happen starting around 5.6” of backspace. It does depend on the design of the lip on the rim, so that number can vary a little. But with Bullit style rims it’s usually 5.6”. So a thin spacer would likely be necessary in the front.

The other thing is the hub bore. That’s a Ford style hub bore, and typically those have to be opened up for use with Mopar brakes because of the large hub on the rotors.

In the back, with a BBP 8.25 and the stock spring locations you need an 8” rim with about 4.5” of backspace. So those rims aren’t even close for use in the back.

The BBP 8.25 is narrower than an A body 8 3/4, so, less backspace. By comparison, an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles is about a 1/2” wider per side. On an BBP 8 3/4 and a 17x8 I usually look for 5” to 5.25” backspace, with the latter possibly needing a small spacer.

So if I did an 8" wheel with 4.5" of backspace would work for rear, would the front still clear or need a spacer? Would a Torque Thrust M style wheel 72.6mm fit the hub? Does an 8" wheel seem right for tire size or would it be better to go wider?

So if I did an 8" wheel with 4.5" of backspace would work for rear, would the front still clear or need a spacer? Would a Torque Thrust M style wheel 72.6mm fit the hub? Does an 8" wheel seem right for tire size or would it be better to go wider?

In the front you need at least 5” of backspace to make an 8” wheel work with any size tire worth putting on an 8” rim. That’s the problem with A-bodies (especially Darts) and any of the stock rear axles, the backspace to maximum the fit up front and out back aren’t the same. With a BBP A body 8 3/4 you can manage a 17x8 with between 5” and 5.25” of backspace all the way around, but with an 8.25 that doesn’t work.

The hub bores are tricky. The actual hub on the 73+ rotors is about 72mm, but, that does vary some as it’s not a tightly controlled part of the rotor. Som manufacturers are a little different than others. The other problem is, even the ones that start at 73mm (like a lot of aftermarket rims) won’t necessarily clear because the wheel caps are a smaller diameter. So the hub bore tapers down. If the face of the rim is thin, the rotor hub will actually stick out past the face of the rim so they have to have a large wheel cap too. My enkei’s were like that. They have a hub bore that starts at 73mm, but taper down to 65mm. And the hub sticks out past the rim. So I had to have mine machined open to 73mm all the way through.

For the width, a 215/50/17 is the narrowest tire recommended for an 8” rim. A 245/45/17 is fine. If you just want to run 215’s up front you can use a 7” wide rim.

I wonder how much money @72bluNblu has saved this community by helping us avoid buying the wrong wheel size/offsets. :D
well , without trying to be an *** , it helps if you go outside , or wherever your car is , take a wheel or two off , put the weight of the car on the suspension and use this device called a tape measure and figure out exactly what you have room for. it's not rocket science

well , without trying to be an *** , it helps if you go outside , or wherever your car is , take a wheel or two off , put the weight of the car on the suspension and use this device called a tape measure and figure out exactly what you have room for. it's not rocket science

This is true, most of what I do is just math. That’s especially true for the rear wheels.

The front is more complicated obviously, and that’s where actually having mounted a bunch of different size wheels (and the biggest ones that will fit) comes in handy. Because the diameter and backspace is not just set by the tire fitting between the body and frame, but also the tie rod end clearance, ball joint clearance, body clearance when the wheels are turned, etc.

take a wheel or two off , put the weight of the car on the suspension and use this device called a tape measure and figure out exactly what you have room for. it's not rocket science

Trying to figure out what I need. My wheels were stolen so I have nothing to measure.

20180411_175611.jpg

I appreciate all the info. I plan on measuring everything before I order just getting sizes to consider and compare.

Car is now off rotisserie and on lift. I just don't want to hold up lift too long at my buddy's shop. Hope to get k member and axle on this week. I have been looking for some wheels to borrow to make it mobile.

Last edited:
I never mentioned my lack of wheels or assembly so no foul. Yeah I know I need to get more together, just trying to be prepared. I don't want it sitting on lift and not being mobile any longer than necessary. I am not positive they were stolen, but I looked for 3 days for them and can't find them. I am hoping they show up because they were a pretty good set of 14" Magnum 500 wheels someone could use.

This is true, most of what I do is just math. That’s especially true for the rear wheels.

The front is more complicated obviously, and that’s where actually having mounted a bunch of different size wheels (and the biggest ones that will fit) comes in handy. Because the diameter and backspace is not just set by the tire fitting between the body and frame, but also the tie rod end clearance, ball joint clearance, body clearance when the wheels are turned, etc.

Exactly...Sure, it's just math but things like the travel of the front suspension and steering, tire deflection, the effects of alignment specs and how they change with compression of the suspension and steering, etc. isn't obvious to everyone and it's not as simple as just getting a tape measure in there.

I appreciate that someone with first hand experience, patience and the ability to explain things to people without making them feel like an idiot, is willing to share their knowledge and time.

Last edited:
Exactly...Sure, it's just math but things like the travel of the front suspension and steering, tire deflection, the effects of alignment specs and how they change with compression of the suspension and steering, etc. isn't obvious to everyone and it's not as simple as just getting a tape measure in there.

I appreciate that someone with first hand experience, patience and the ability to explain things to people without making them feel like an idiot, is willing to share their knowledge and time.
I appreciate that you appreciate that . now get your lazy *** back outside and measure with a ruler !!!

Its time to order wheels for my 72 Swinger. It has an 8 1/4 BBP with 73 disks in front. I have QA1 tubular control arms and the rest is stock. I have been looking at 215/50/17 in front and 245/45/17 in back. Will these fit without any modifications? I have been thinking 8" bullet wheels with 30 backspace.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-wheels/wheel-replicas-mustang-bullet/p/56708

Am I in the ballpark for fitting? Will I need spacers with there wheels? Any one running the BF G Force 2 A/S?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-g-force-comp-2-a-s/p/29877

I am not real sure of what I am doing so any advice will be helpful.

Yea that sucks about your wheels.
You might take a look at something like the Ridler 695 wheels, or the Torq Thrust 105M which both come in Mopar fitting sizes.
These are the 105's that I am looking at for my Dart in an 18.

wheels (2).jpg

you tell me , you came at me bro, now whats the measurement

So what are you getting out of this? Are you on a crusade against laziness? Are you watching your fellow car enthusiasts and looking for ways to help our process? Maybe we should be thanking you?

Last edited:
I got a few things done today. Mainly got headliner in, I had help. Also got fat mat down. I need to get engine finished and hope to get k member and axle in real soon. Wheels and rulers are next!
20180501_174608.jpg

20180501_174556.jpg

You might take a look at something like the Ridler 695 wheels, or the Torq Thrust 105M which both come in Mopar fitting sizes.

I like both wheels and have looked at them. My buddy has the Riddler on his 56 Chevy. I also am not committed to 17". I know 18" fit better up front. I just like the look of 17" better. Just trying to get as much info as possible so when it is time to place order there is little delay. I also like these wheels, anyone have opinion or experience with these?

U.S. Wheel 701 Series Gunmetal Retro Wheels with Machined Lip 701-8812

On the front would a 7" be better rim for the 215/50/17 with 4" BS, more outside tie rod clearance?

I like both wheels and have looked at them. My buddy has the Riddler on his 56 Chevy. I also am not committed to 17". I know 18" fit better up front. I just like the look of 17" better. Just trying to get as much info as possible so when it is time to place order there is little delay. I also like these wheels, anyone have opinion or experience with these?

On the front would a 7" be better rim for the 215/50/17 with 4" BS, more outside tie rod clearance?

18's don't really fit "better" up front, you can just run a wider tire and rim with 18's than 17's. If you're not planning on running 275's up front, 17's work just fine.

Those wheels are ok, the large hub bore should mean you won't have any issue with that. The 17x8's with 4.5" of backspace will work well for you in the back. The problem is the front. A 17x8 with 4.5" of backspace won't work for you. You really do need 5" of backspace to get 17x8's to work properly with 73+ disks.

The 17x7's with 4" of backspace are borderline. With 215/50/17's you'd have about the same space to the fender lips as I do with my 275/35/18's. Which is to say, nothing extra at all on a car without rolling the fender lips. It may work ok depending on your ride height. If you're lowered like I am, you'd probably need to roll the lips to keep them from rubbing. It doesn't seem like much, but with a 7" you really want 4.25" or more for backspace.

So what are you getting out of this? Are you on a crusade against laziness? Are you watching your fellow car enthusiasts and looking for ways to help our process? Maybe we should be thanking you?
you can thank me when you get us the measurements with your ruler , after you drag your laziness out of your recliner and put the beer down . nice gtx btw lol

Those are nice too.
One thing I found was with a 4.5 backspace in the back, the tire is off center toward the inside about an inch.
On my car a 215/15 has about 1/2 inch or less to the leaf springs and 1.5 inches to the fender lip.
I'm going to get some exact measurements before long here, but it looks like I will try an 8 inch rim with about 3.5 to 3.75 backspace.
So far as I can tell an 18 with a 40 series tire fits the front ok with the stock 4.5 backspace because it keeps the tire well inside the fender.
Like I said though, I have to get out there and measure for sure. :D

What are you getting out of this?
why are you getting into this?
you just can't leave it alone ? stop quoting me and I will leave you to your lonely internet life.
or better yet , the ignore feature works pretty well too , try it out....

-
Back