Timing chain and oil pan gasket install

-

Dartsun

Mopar Dude
Reaction score
Hey guys got a question I'm getting ready to assemble my 340 for my 69 dart and was wanting some tips on a sealant for the timing chain cover and the oil pan? Should I use some black rtv or gasket sealant any tips help.I'm using fel-pro gaskets thanks Dustin

You'll need rtv on some of the bolt threads. I use it on all of these mating parts.

I have gotten over the years to where I put RTV on every single bolt that screws into the outside of the engine. Seen too many over the years rust and break off on removal.

That said the only places I use RTV on the timing cover is around the water ports on both sides of the gasket. On the oil pan, in each of the four corners where the rubber seals meet the side gasket and that's it.

RTV should not be used on threads. Unless you like gunking all the threads up.
You should use a thread sealant like Permatex, which is designed for threads.
I gasgacinch the gaskets to the block,than use RTV on top of that.
Get a good engine building book, or even check out YouTube for a step by step run down on installing oil pans,timing covers,etc.

Been using RTV a long time and never had "gunkin" problems. Use what makes you happy. I don't use the RTV primarily to seal, although that's a nice benefit. I use it to prevent rust, which it does fantastically.

-
Back