Timing chain cover seal install.

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 I am re-doing in my garage. I was wondering if the seal that goes into the timing chain cover has to be pressed in using a special tool or can it be put in place simply by installing the timing chain cover back on the block. Will it seat itself in place? My manual shows me that the seal has to be pressed in with a press tool. The guy at Autozone told me it doesn't have to be pressed on. it will seat itself once it is in place and the cover goes back on the block.

You have to press it in. With a little bit of caution, you can do it without any special tools but nice to have a small arbor press to get even pressure. Dennis

thanks. That's what I thought. but the press tool online costs like 54.00!!!! I can barrow a press tool from Autozone that has different sized cylinders you can use to press bearings in with.

I find it hard to believe?

That you can't tap it in there with the appropriate size "large socket" or piece of pipe?

Maybe I should make a few of these

I sure didn't use a press ! It's just a matter of being gentle,yet firm !! No oil leaks either !! Get you a block of Oak a slight bit bigger than the the seal and hit it equally all the way around !! JM.02

i think I will barrow the press from autozone. It;s free and i know it will make a good seal unless the tool is messed up. Then i will take it up with them!!!!!!

I always used a hammer, tapping around evenly, but a big socket is better. Now I have a Harbor Freight hydraulic press.

-
Back