[WANTED] Timing Chain oiler bolt

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have some of the bolts with no holes in them, you can make yourself one. Just drill a 1/8th in hole thru it. Center punch the center of the bolt head, and either use a drill press, or vice, with a hand drill. use a good sharp drill bit. They drill real easy.
Hope this help.
Dave

Since they dont actually thread onto the oil passages, how exactly does the oil come from the drilled center of the bolt to oil the chain? Is it from when it puddles up in the lifter valley, and pours over? Was considering this for my sons 318 build but just didnt see how much it was really gonna help.

^^^^ Yes it is when it puddles in the lifter galley.Some engines had them some didn't.
Some had just the bolt with the hole and some had the bolt with hole and also a drip tab that the oil would drip directly on the chain.
Do you need it ? No, but it is of extra insurance that the chain and gears are getting oil.
The oil slinger on the crank snout keeps excess oil from flooding the front seal at the same time oiling the crank gear thus the chain and cam gear.
I drilled mine on my last 2 engines and made a drip tab.

Every small block I have dissassembled from a 74 on up through 85 had drip tabs. I have heard that double roller chains destroy oil slinger rings. I will probably drill one for that purpose.

The oil gallery plug on the aft left lifter bank by the distributer gear benefits from a small #50 drill hole as well. It shoots oil on the distributer gear and shaft . Of course that lowers lifter oil pressure a little on the left bank aft end being farthest from the pump, and everything using oil up to that point. If you drill it out, make it real tiny.

Last edited:
When tearing down a worn out engine you might find about a teaspoon of debris collected on the galley side, behind and below that weep hole. Shows the lack of regular oil and filter change? I dont know.

Don't worry about the stupid bolt. Here's what to do. There are two freeze plugs that press into the oil gallies in the front that the camshaft thrust plate covers up. Leave the passenger's side one out. Now drill a 1/16" hole right through the center of where that hole would be in the camshaft thrust plate. NOW you have something worth doing. Pressurized oil skeetin all over the back of the camshaft sprocket. I make a similar modification to all my slant sixes. Screw that little do nothing bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back