Timing chain recommendation

-

Flyinbrian72duster

Dart and duster
Reaction score
From what I've read on here I should change my timming chain due to mileage. Any brands to stay away from, recommendations,gotta stock 71 318 88k

From what I've read on here I should change my timming chain due to mileage. Any brands to stay away from, recommendations,gotta stock 71 318 88k
If it's just stock and no overly excited driving I'd say anything would be better than the plastic gear that's on it.. then again a double roller chain is only "like?" $80...

Motors stock other than intake and 4bbl dual exhaust and 355 gear
When I remember looking for timing sets I remember the cheap one was like 30 and then the medium one was like 45 or 50 and the expensive one was near 80 bucks. Personally though if I was going in that far I would go ahead and pop the intake manifold off as well and think about a small upgrade in the cam?? NOT go bananas and try to get the car to do wheelies with a 318 LOL, but maybe something closer to what at 340 would have... It doesn't take too much to get that 318 woke up and a little chop, but not crazy where you have to have both feet on the brakes as stop light LOL..

If it's just a standard single timing chain and gear set you are looking for I have a fairly new one from Summit part # SUM-G6502 it was in my 273 for a very short time until I decided to go with the double roller. Perfect shape, you can have it for $20.00 shipped.
Bob

I saved my good used sets for just slapping old Motors together with something fairly tight. But when you can get brand new sets for anywhere from $20.99 to $155...

If it's just a standard single timing chain and gear set you are looking for I have a fairly new one from Summit part # SUM-G6502 it was in my 273 for a very short time until I decided to go with the double roller. Perfect shape, you can have it for $20.00 shipped.
Bob
probably going to cost $15 to ship....deal of the day right there !

I run this true roller double roller chain in all of my small blocks... They will go well over 100 k miles in a daily driver and not stretch very much...

Edelbrock

When I remember looking for timing sets I remember the cheap one was like 30 and then the medium one was like 45 or 50 and the expensive one was near 80 bucks. Personally though if I was going in that far I would go ahead and pop the intake manifold off as well and think about a small upgrade in the cam?? NOT go bananas and try to get the car to do wheelies with a 318 LOL, but maybe something closer to what at 340 would have... It doesn't take too much to get that 318 woke up and a little chop, but not crazy where you have to have both feet on the brakes as stop light LOL..
I've been wanting to do a cam but I've never done one

I'd stay away from COMP timing sets, mine stretched noticeably after 25k miles. I put a Cloyes Street Billet True Roller in my next engine, might be overkill for a stock 318 though. Literally anything is better than that terrible stock plastic cam sprocket that thing needs to be taken out 20 years ago lol.

Cloyes gear set and chain. You cant go wrong
clo-9-3503x9_w.jpg

I've always heard that Cloyes is the best but can someone please explain how this Cloyes 9-3603X9 can not cause some inbalance problems in a running engine with all that weight removed from one side of the cam gear?

Edelbrock double roller is a nice timing set for around 70 bucks. But, you can go to your local parts store and buy a replacement that will have steel gears for about 25 bucks and it will serve you fine.

Even on a dead stock engine, I would run one of the billet race sets. Either from Cloyes or Comp. Pricey, but stable, consistent timing is that important.......to ME.

View attachment 1715302770
I've always heard that Cloyes is the best but can someone please explain how this Cloyes 9-3603X9 can not cause some inbalance problems in a running engine with all that weight removed from one side of the cam gear?

Those holes are drilled to offset the weight of the fuel pump eccentric, even without one if those the imbalance isn't a big deal since the cam sprocket doesn't weigh much overall and only turns at half engine speed. It's not like a harmonic damper that weighs 15 pounds and spins on the crankshaft.

-
Back