timing chain tensioner

-

ram45red

Reaction score
Getting rid of some leaks on my son's 73 Dart Swinger and after removing timing chain cover there seems to be some slack in the chain. Where can i get a timing chain tensioner ? Part number ? We rebuilt this 318 engine some years ago with a new double roller chain and sprocket set .I think this is a simple bolt on deal .Timing marks still line up just want to take the slack out of it before it gets worse .

Getting rid of some leaks on my son's 73 Dart Swinger and after removing timing chain cover there seems to be some slack in the chain. Where can i get a timing chain tensioner ? Part number ? We rebuilt this 318 engine some years ago with a new double roller chain and sprocket set .I think this is a simple bolt on deal .Timing marks still line up just want to take the slack out of it before it gets worse .
Mopar Performance Timing Chain Tensioners P5007709..Summit maybe your least expensive but check your local Mopar dealer.

That's one way to approach it.
They nylon will wear on the tensioner and go into the oil. Too bad they didn't make a roller sprocket style tensioner.
Good billet gear chain set would be optimal.

Timing chain tensioner on a 318 ? Doesn't too much slack normally require the chain to be replaced ?

The good timing chains still have slack.

Mopar small block has one of the longest distances between crank and cam in a V8. If not longest.

I put a rollmaster in mine. Degreed the cam with and without the tensioner... 1 deg difference.

20171202_105929.jpg

I put one on my 408

I use to have slack in my chain years ago. after one season, sloppy, I changed to a link belt chain, from the roller, they didn't get sloppy. later on tried a roller chain, this time , I soaked it in can of engine oil as I assembled short block. I ran that engine two seasons, the chain was still snug. no slop!!!! the chain gets no lube on start up. the rollers need preoiled. last engine ran 3 seasons, roller chain was still snug again!!!! preoiling is the way to make them last. BTW , no tensioner!!!!

I run the v6 tensioner on my 318. Nice piece. Sure the nylon will wear-in but nylon vs the oil pump is no concern and the filter will catch it all.

They have been using the nylon coated tensioners and guides in cars for decades. If the nylon was a problem, we'd know it. They work well. I even modified one to use on my 331 Hemi.

They have been using the nylon coated tensioners and guides in cars for decades. If the nylon was a problem, we'd know it. They work well. I even modified one to use on my 331 Hemi.

Remember the nylon teeth on the oem timing chain cogs? Obviously an awful idea but it worked for 100k or so. I can only guess that it was to help make it quieter, probably cheaper too.

Remember the nylon teeth on the oem timing chain cogs? Obviously an awful idea but it worked for 100k or so. I can only guess that it was to help make it quieter, probably cheaper too.

Yes, the noise factor was the reason. I remember them being marketed as "Silent Chain".

-
Back