Timing cover seal orientation?

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am replacing my timing cover with a new billet one due to an oil leak and to spruce it up a bit. Mine was leaky and I am not sure exactly where. Did I mess up and install the seal backwards? Any idea as to why I have some scraping on the black one? Warped? I tried to place it without replacing the oil pan gasket so I gently pounded it on the pins...... sort of. Dumb. I cannot find a closeup of the correct orientation.
IMG-2109.jpg

The open end of the seal goes towards the timing chain. The scrape is probably because the pulley bolts were too long and hit the timing cover.

The lip always faces the oil. This is true with any seal. Like Mentioned above, The lower pulley bolts were probably to long. Many years ago around 1980 I had a guy that had bought a Dukes of Hazard look alike that had a rebuilt 383 in it with zero miles. Guy told me it was locked up. Sold it to me cheap. Had good parts on it Holley 750 DP Edelbrock, Hooker, Mallory etc. When I tore it down the guy that installed the engine must have ran 6 bolts 1 1/2" Long. Tore up the timing cover and nothing more. One of my better scores.

The cover itself could be bent out just enough to contact the back of the balancer, maybe aggressive seal installation at one point

It was the cover hitting the bolt that stuck out just a tiny bit. But the new cover is in
IMG-2110.jpg

-
Back