timing light??

-

Gib Warnick

'65 Valiant signet
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My old sun timing light stopped working- ;Anyone haw any recommendations?
Something I use only coouple times a year at most- thanks, Gib

I've found more than I can ever "use up" on C/L / garage sales.

I like the old style craftsman advance timing light, but they changed them now.

I still have my old ones luckily...

Dialbacks are fun to play with but a good name brand accurate regular type will suffice. Find true TDC and only need several addit'l white paint marks 10, 15 17.5 20 and your total 35 or 36 works well. measure/cut a strip of paper with your calipers & mark it & use it to measure your new marks around the dampener. 0.0632683" is (1) degree IE 2 &1/4" (2.246") is 35.5 deg. Way back one of the ign companies did a study of lights & found the sears std light was pretty accurate. dont remember the #, 1234 ?? been a long time but I think it was a 4 digit #

I just picked up a flaming river for 40 bucks about 3 weeks ago...also have a craftsman I picked up a few years back for I think 30 ..cl for the craftsman and local the flaming river was on moparts.com ...they are out there for a good price. .I like to have 2 to check behind each other. ..

I bought a Innova digital timing light a few years back from Summit. The thing is great. Has a built in tach and there is no need for the timing tape anymore.

I have a new Innova advance light w/o tach. Works pretty good and seems accurate. I use my dwell meter for tach.

I use an MSD light.

You can't use a dial back on an MSD.

Thanks to all= I went with an Innova Advance timing light- missed out on a new old stock Sun on ebay- went to high$$ Figured better to go with new technology= Haven't put it to use yet...
I usually hit Amazon to read comments of buyers to get opinions....

I've repaired a couple that failed by reterminating the connections. Wires tend to break internally at the strain relief from constant flexing over the years.

Otc makes areal nice Dial back/tach timing light. Mine';s probably 30yrs old.

I have sold and used the Innova lights. They work well. I don't think they work with MSD though.

I've repaired a couple that failed by reterminating the connections. Wires tend to break internally at the strain relief from constant flexing over the years.

I'll give it a try- bought new one, but don't wanna give 'er up- had for over 30 years-

I use an MSD light.

You can't use a dial back on an MSD.

Ya know I've read this before. I have a Craftsman dial back type that I use. I'm running the MSD digital 6AL. I've experimented with the light on 0 and checking it on 33 degrees. Dead on either way.

I wonder though if it is accurate.....like to try a non dial back to see if it's on the money.

-
Back