tire rubbing

-

squidbob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hello folks I recently got a old 72 duster that was a race care here ay carlsbad back in the 80,s and 90,s . trying to get it track ready for me and my sons other than out dated tech the front pizza cutters that rub on the fender exit hooker super comp headers , my question is are the torshion bars worn out and shocks also has anyone experianced this and what is the salution thanks

hope these work or i can try another camera

P1040187.JPG

P1040188.JPG

P1040189.JPG

hello folks I recently got a old 72 duster that was a race care here ay carlsbad back in the 80,s and 90,s . trying to get it track ready for me and my sons other than out dated tech the front pizza cutters that rub on the fender exit hooker super comp headers , my question is are the torshion bars worn out and shocks also has anyone experianced this and what is the salution thanks
What size wheel/tire are on it? You could try cranking up the torsion bar adjustment a bit- or try a bit smaller diameter tire; depending on how and where the tire is rubbing. The Hooker Super Comps are notorious for limited tire/wheel clearance. Your torsion bars are probably okay, but keep in mind that the hot setup at that time was to run soft slant six torsion bars and "worn out" or loose 90/10 drag shocks, with no front sway bar; this kept the front end "loose" and allowed the front to rise easily, aiding in weight transfer off the line...

25 inch is max height for tire clearance I've heard, you can run a wheel spacer & it may help a bit. Also jack up the torsion bars a little more.

25 inch is max height for tire clearance I've heard, you can run a wheel spacer & it may help a bit. Also jack up the torsion bars a little more.
the size is 165 80 15 with a 24-25 inch hieght shocks are black and could be pass car type

Yup they rub. Only way around it is to modify the tubes. I have run the 165/80/15 tires. Now I have M/T 25x4.5x 15. This is with a RB block. Kim

That's normal for fenderwell headers. You can go to a shorter tire, try modifying the header or run as is. I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman 26" front tires. They rub when turning but are fine going straight.

I have the same tire, and the same issue (although not as bad). Mine only rubs when I turn hard, like into a parking space....It has been this way for 20 years, no real issue, I just learned to not turn the wheel quite as tight.

Yep , many years ago my friend George had the same problem with a 440 in a 68 Dart . He was at the races and made a run pulled in and got out and did not turn the wheel , about a minute later his tire went bang . We fixed the problem by moving the motor back 2 inches , had to hammer parts of firewall back and take a BFH to the inner front wheel wells and moved the sheet metal back so the headers would fit , also had to put a small dent in the back tube to clear master cylinder . All this helped and he had no more problems with tire clearance .

Yep , many years ago my friend George had the same problem with a 440 in a 68 Dart . He was at the races and made a run pulled in and got out and did not turn the wheel , about a minute later his tire went bang . We fixed the problem by moving the motor back 2 inches , had to hammer parts of firewall back and take a BFH to the inner front wheel wells and moved the sheet metal back so the headers would fit , also had to put a small dent in the back tube to clear master cylinder . All this helped and he had no more problems with tire clearance .
thanks but did your friend have to modify the tranny mount and driveshaft ?

Yes he did .We used elephant ears for the motor . welded a plate to the trans mount and made it solid , had the drive shaft shortened . moving it back also helps with the weight transfer and its was just plain safer , think about the tire being weakened with the heat and going bang at the end of the track ...

Easiest solution would be to replace the fenderwell Hookers with under chassis headers.

Easiest solution would be to replace the fenderwell Hookers with under chassis headers.
Lets see . $ 600 to $700 bucks for new headers or day in the shop and the cost of motor plate plus shaft being shortened , we were cheap only took a day to move plus $50 for shorten shaft plus a couple of dollars for the steel for the trans mount . also help with cars launch . Use what you have .

Header tubes close to the tires I"m sure isn't idea, but if it was the big of a safety concern with tires blowing due to the heat they wouldn't make fenderwell headers. There are tons of cars with fenderwell headers. My car was raced from 1995-2012 with fenderwell headers before I put TTI on the car. This past winter I put the fenderwell back on the car since they are so much easier to work on. Check your front tires for cracking or dry rot that's more like to cause a blow out than the heat from the headers.

Simple. Shorter tires. I am changing 165 80r15s for 185 65r15s this morning. Centerline 15x3 1/2. Tires are a little wide, but i'm gonna live with it.

-
Back