TIRED

-
Louie, I was talking to a friend of mine who is a locksmith up there. He lives out in Union Grove but he's told me all that's gone on up there since the Motor's moved out. I had not realized the town has gone down the tubes so far. It's hard to hear that there's no industries left at all after what used to be there! With your chemical background does Quad Graphics offer any possibilities at all? They're a printing house as you know.

Hey, the Karma has got to turn your way soon, you've been backing up through the door too long! I am believing you're due!
Tried at quad. I even have folder experience...... And yeah, when AMC/Chrysler left, the town was pretty sad for a while. But there are all sorts of businesses here now. Where I used to ride the school bus as kid with nothing but farms is now nothing but factories. A lot of them are machine shops and I have no experience at that. Plus, very few are hiring direct. There is little incentive for business to do so. They save a ton of money on payroll with no benefits being paid. Way work is now days..... Can't really blame them, but it is painful to those who need to work at something that will at least pay the bills. Barebones my expenses are around $1400 a month. If I lose phone and cable/internet temporarily I can cut that by about another $250. I'm going to try and sell a few things I don't use and see how that works out. Have treadmill with incline, and some other things, like sporting stuff, winter kind. Too out of shape to cross country ski or skate anymore....

Cut back those expenses. Take some of the financial pressure off of yourself.

Reading through this for the 1st time..... it sounds like living there is in your comfort zone but IMHO it would do you some good to look in other areas. Sticking in a locale that has lost a lot of industry tends to be a financial trap, regardless of what you try. There may be a lot of new businesses now, but if they can't pay well, then there is little future.

Just got off phone with slave agency. Seems the place I'm at says I wasn't eligible for the raise..... And there is nothing available for the time I am off work, so back to scrambling for cash to pay bills.... f bomb time

Applied for a position. It has been seen, and it is being talked about. Anything definite? No, but I do have the lead of the filling machine on my side. And NO BROWN NOSING was done. Being hired full time permanent, company payroll with benefits would be a nice way to start the new year! Trying to stay positive, and I should hear yay or nay next Thursday about the development technician job.

Update. Interviewed for a position on the 19th of December. Boss came up to me and asked if I was interested in a position. It would be nights; but oh well, I will just have to adjust. He wants to talk more Saturday. So I've kinda sorta been offered a position. We'll see Saturday.

Signed the letter Saturday. Start on the payroll Jan 22nd. And...... I STAY ON DAYS!!! Ok, maybe overkill on exclamation points, but that is so cool. Plus I will move up to actually working with the filler itself instead of the other parts; capper, case packer, can depalletizer. Now I have nothing against hispanics, 4 nephews are half Mexican, but I am the token gringo. LOL. Old, token gringo. All I wanted was a foot in the door, and I got it. And maybe I was a little over the top at the beginning, but it is scary as hell being broke, no job, and bills to pay. Trust me, it is not a good feeling to have. Now I have a better chance of making it, I'll have to watch it of course but I've been doing that for years anyway. Thanks again to EVERYONES support! Hopefully can get my damn car going this year......

Ok, should be the last post for me on this, but anyone else is more than welcome to add their experience if they wish. But I received my fist check, amount shouldn't change that much after insurance kicks in; less than $100 a month. Money will allow me to meet my expenses plus a little left over. Not out of the woods yet, but it looks as though I'm on the right path. Last year was scary, made a little more than half in 2017 than I did in 2016. I don't wish that crap on anyone here on FABO, not even liberals, LOL. Reason is we are all brothers of MOPAR. Ok, thanks everyone, and I hope all have a GREAT year!

great to hear things are looking up, good luck in the future

Good luck and stay positive.
Wanna hear something wild ? One of my kids makes $500 a shift on overtime ! GLAD FOR EM BOTH, BUT, I never made more than time and a half in working for 52 yrs. at a employed job.

Holiday pay maybe and triple time or two and a half time?

Another update.... Was recruited for a compounder/batchmaker position last couple of weeks. Interviewed 6/21. Offered a job later that day at more money, 40 work week, paid holidays, direct hire, but not at that position but in the QC department. Seems the QC manager worked where I was at, but in a division that was sold off; I mentioned some of the people and she remembered. Finished some of the paper work, drug screen tomorrow, start Monday the 25th of June for training. I didn't work at other job today as it was scheduled off. Paid holidays off, no more work weekends, 40 hours a week. 3rd shift, but I will deal with it, I've dealt with worse before. Now to tell them where I work now..... I sent a receipt for safety shoes the other day; I wonder if I will still be reimbursed? LOL Onward and upward!!

Louie you deserve this after what you have been through. Good luck brother, and you’ve done a great job of hanging in there. We’re here for you!

Here in September, on 3rd shift. No boss, no co-worker, just me and the PC. I 'found' spotify, a music service. Any tunes I want, and I am bored out of my skull. LOL. Better than what I had for sure.

Got laid off at 50 with 13 years of service. Shock! Worked in Houston for 14 months then Blessed to be called back. Got to go where the money is. All the best.

New year, another update. Boss lady was fired, supposedly for sexual harassment..... I don't know. But she was fired, and another chemist was let go; fired? Don't know. But work is very, very slow last several weeks, 32 hours a week slow. Word is the 26th of April is another off day. One technician on days moved on to another job. the big boss on floor gave his 2 weeks, and is now gone. Heard that the remaining QC boss in analytical lab gave his 2 week notice on Monday the 22nd of April. Rats deserting the sinking ship? I've been looking, but not very hard. Might have to ratchet that up.

Four months later, 2nd shift guy left for another job, I went to second. Much better hours, I have no dependents so not like I have to see anyone.....lol. Still looking for that better paying job. Interviewed with a Paint company today doing what I did before layoff. I have the skills and knowledge they are looking for. Interview went ok I guess. I will know in a couple weeks whats up.

Me too, I am on the wrong side of 40 and pretty much wised up to the BS at 40. Meaning, I realized, "why am I busting my ***, there is no getting ahead". It used to be that you could get ahead by working extra hours, maybe a half or full Saturday, but now, no. People are working long hours not to get ahead, but to get by. I think a person would be better off working minimal hours at their main gig, and having a part time or "hobby" gig on the side for supplemental income. A friend recently asked me "what do you want to do?" I said, "I want to sleep late, wake up whenever, do whatever, and drink beer and eat shrimp". He looked at me dumbfounded, but hey, at least I know what I want to do ;)
Guy I worked with in construction here in Texas just wanted work indoors!

No job with paint, but in a lab making flour. Four miles from home, and about a 10k bump in pay. How could I say no? Not getting any younger, and the cash will sure help. Oh, and last job, 1st shift guy left, and I wasn't going to be offered a transfer. But this was already started before I was told no 1st for me.

-
Back