tires hitting after front end rebuild

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I did a disc brake conversion and rebuilt the front suspension. (new ball joints, bushing etc,) Now my front wheels hit my front fender when I turn. I haven't had the front end alined yet but i turned the cam bolts as far as I could to pull the wheel away from the fender and it still hits. These tires were on the car before and worked. I have to run a spacer behind the front wheels now to keep them from rubbing the calipers but I don't know why that would make a difference. My tire are 26" diameter. shouldn't they fit?

freshayr said:
I did a disc brake conversion and rebuilt the front suspension. (new ball joints, bushing etc,) Now my front wheels hit my front fender when I turn. I haven't had the front end alined yet but i turned the cam bolts as far as I could to pull the wheel away from the fender and it still hits. These tires were on the car before and worked. I have to run a spacer behind the front wheels now to keep them from rubbing the calipers but I don't know why that would make a difference. My tire are 26" diameter. shouldn't they fit?

I'm assuming you did a late model single piston caliper swap, right? I did a disc brake conversion on a friends `66 Charger and the rims hit those calipers too. We took a grinder and carefully relieved the top of the calipers to clear the rims. I know it sounds like a brutal thing to do, but all you probably need is just a little bit to clear. Don't go mining for fluid. Just enough to clear.

Now you can pop off those spacers and put some miles on that bad boy...:thumleft:

What ride height are you running,has the car been aligned,what tire diameter is the front tire,is it one side at a time or both hit when you turn,Mrmopartech

my tires are g70-14 which are 26-27" they only hit on the outside of the tire. when i turn right, the drivers side hit.

-
Back