Titles

-
Ya the late fee thing sucks. I haven't registered my Power Wagon for about 10 years. They told me that not only will I have to pay the 100.00 late fee but also 10 years of road and bridge fees. I said why do I have to pay the R&B fees when my truck hasn't been on the road for 10 years. What a croc.

When I brought my dart to CO from CA the local car dealer could do the vin confirmation. Mine was on the trailer still and a sales man checked the vin signed the paper and I was off to the dmv.

There they titled it to me BUT it had to go through a review for stolen car database.

I did have a bill if sale from my mom, my dad's name was still on the title (the original california pink slip) so I also had to show a death cert since he could not sign it.

I got the temp registration, drove it to the smog check place and passed, car haven't been driven in 4 years.

Back to the dmv to finish the registration.
A few weeks later I got the title.

Ya the late fee thing sucks. I haven't registered my Power Wagon for about 10 years. They told me that not only will I have to pay the 100.00 late fee but also 10 years of road and bridge fees. I said why do I have to pay the R&B fees when my truck hasn't been on the road for 10 years. What a croc.
You can sell it to a relative or buddy for a dollar and plate it as a fresh start and buy it back for another dollar.

You can get your VIN inspection done at the emissions check station for 20 bucks.
I just got mine done last week, as it was a Montana title. Now the hard part is getting into DMV to get the title work done. The lines are 1 to 2 blocks long, they're only open 4 days a week now, in the mornings. Afternoon's are by appt only, but you cant hardly get an appt. Only booking for 2 weeks in advance. So if Colo is going to make it that difficult for me to give them my money, I'll just keep it. There are other ways around this bureaucratic mess.

But remember, if you sign your name where it says buyer, you will have to get a new title in your name, and wade thru the title jungle. Thats why so many people skip title. Titling in Colo is a big PITA. And by the way, you dont have to get plates when you title it, you can just pay the sales tax, and get a title. Costs $7.50 plus tax. I've been down this road numerous times. Colo should follow Az, and go to 3rd party titling. They make it easy in Az.

Last edited:
Hope it's not like it is in Georgia. If it's been registered and tagged without a title transfer in Georgia, you can never get a title again. Ever. No amount of nuthin will get you one. All you can do is deal with a bill of sale from that point on. Good luck.

Do they tax you on the amount you paid for the car in Colorado to get a title?

I've done it before. What I did was take a picture of the non titled sellers drivers liciense in case the car is stolen. Tell him you are just protecting yourself in case things go bad. If the car is legit he will let you.

But remember, if you sign your name where it says buyer, you will have to get a new title in your name, and wade thru the title jungle. Thats why so many people skip title. Titling in Colo is a big PITA. And by the way, you dont have to get plates when you title it, you can just pay the sales tax, and get a title. Costs $7.50 plus tax. I've been down this road numerous times. Colo should follow Az, and go to 3rd party titling. They make it easy in Az.
Not that bad over here. The last few times I went to the DMV only had to wait a few minuets if at all. I renew my tags on line.
Yep you don't have to plate it.

Hope it's not like it is in Georgia. If it's been registered and tagged without a title transfer in Georgia, you can never get a title again. Ever. No amount of nuthin will get you one. All you can do is deal with a bill of sale from that point on. Good luck.
Ya theres been a couple cars that I wanted from Georgia but passed on because they only came with a bill of sale, no title.

Do they tax you on the amount you paid for the car in Colorado to get a title?
Yep.
I'm actually going over to Utah on Saturday to look at buying several cars. Have bought probably well over 20 cars from there.

Last edited:
Depends on the state. In nj as long as it's signed in the proper location but the person on the front they won't give you any problems. If they dated it and its more than 14 days ago there will be like a 25 dollar penalty. If it happens to be signed by the wrong person or in the wrong place be prepared for a headache.

Here it depends on the title weather a bill of sale is needed. If the title has a sale price spot like ours's do then a bill of sale is not needed. If no sale price on the title then they want a bill of sale.

Also here they Fee you to death. We have the Tabor Bill which requires all new taxes be voted in by the people. So to get around that they just call it a fee instead of a tax.
Typical government BS.

If the DMV person won't transfer for you just go back to another person. I had a title that that was dated a couple years earlier and the first DMV guy said that I need to have the seller retitle first. I just went back to another DMV guy and he said no problem.
I find that if you go to a DVM office in a small town or city they are a lot more laid back and a more apt to let things slide. Stay out of the big city if at all possible.

Last edited:
About to buy a 74 duster. I've seen the title and the guy selling it isn't listed. Should I be concerned/ what should I do about this. The vehicle isn't registered either. Just an out of state title that isn't up to date.
Others have mentioned this, but CHECK WITH YOUR STATE. If they say no problem, you are good to go.

Always put the car in your name before spending any $$$ on it.

I personally know of 2 instances where individuals spent years/hours and big $$$ building their dream, only to have them seized while trying to register, then returned to the real owners, ( one insurance company).

Yes ^^^^^

Friend bought a year old Buick Regal from a salvage yard, rebuild everything on the car that was damaged.

Went to get the title, State of MN says no go, no title.

The salvage yard gave him 10 cents on the dollar for the car and they scrapped it out and sold the parts.

Hence the saying: No title, No Car

The guy took a beating on his investment.

About to buy a 74 duster. I've seen the title and the guy selling it isn't listed. Should I be concerned/ what should I do about this. The vehicle isn't registered either. Just an out of state title that isn't up to date.
The guy you are buying it from has skipped title. DMV frowns on that, as they want the tax money each time the car is sold. He can title it in his name, pay the sales tax, then sell it to you. That's the safest way, but it may take a little time. Or you can take your chances, and just put your name where it says buyer. Maybe the seller will go with you to DMV, and after the title work is done, then you can pay the seller. Some states, like Az, issue a new title on the spot. Good luck!

-
Back