TO DROP OR NOT TO DROP

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
I installed the rear RMS kit on my barracuda & it has an adjustment so i can lower the back of the car another 2 inches. What do you think should i drop it ?

NEWEST PICS OF 67 CUDA  WILLS DUSTER 011.JPG

It looks like a 4x4 now, drop both ends of the car.

If that is final ride height in your pic, both ends are about 4” too high for my taste.

I installed the rear RMS kit on my barracuda & it has an adjustment so i can lower the back of the car another 2 inches. What do you think should i drop it ?

View attachment 1715775360

What are you looking to get out of it, looks or performance? Leaving it that high will definitely give the car a great stance but dropping it will lower the center of gravity and greatly improve handling. I've got the AlterKation front suspension and the streetlynx 4-link with a 7/8 rear swaybar and have the car very low. Its awesome!!

Raised up a bit gives a very classic muscle car look from the 60s. From long before everyone wanted to be in the weeds like a low rider.

If it were me I'd raise it a little more considering the weight of the driveline

528641.jpg

Raised up a bit gives a very classic muscle car look from the 60s. From long before everyone wanted to be in the weeds like a low rider.

If it were me I'd raise it a little more considering the weight of the driveline

View attachment 1715775388

I love that look. It got lost somehow in the ghetto.

Don’t do anything until the car is completely assembled with hood and fluids, battery, etc, ready to go down the road. Then access the height of the car.

I love that look. It got lost somehow in the ghetto.
I love that look also but I enjoy driving a car that handles better than a 24 foot Bayliner more. That’s why it got lost. Because they handle like poop when they look like that.

I love that look also but I enjoy driving a car that handles better than a 24 foot Bayliner more. That’s why it got lost. Because they handle like poop when they look like that.

No they don't. Not if they're driven as designed. They weren't built to take a curve like a Porsche. They were built to haul *** in a straight line and they do that well. I understand your point though, because I am modifying Vixen to be a good driver.

No they don't. Not if they're driven as designed. They weren't built to take a curve like a Porsche. They were built to haul *** in a straight line and they do that well. I understand your point though, because I am modifying Vixen to be a good driver.
I kinda agree and kinda disagree. LOL.
These were street cars and ALL they did was drive in a straight line. They were supposed to go around corners. But along with that our expectations have changed.

I kinda agree and kinda disagree. LOL.
These were street cars and ALL they did was drive in a straight line. They were supposed to go around corners. But along with that our expectations have changed.

I think we're on the same page.

That's somewhat fair. My daily driver dart has 10 cranks on each side on the torsion bars. It has a lot of body roll and is in absolutely no way a "corner carver" or whatever they call them.

However because I drive it all the time I'm used to it and know how it handles or not so I'm able to drive it Everyday with no issues. Eveytime I get in a newer vehicle it takes me a little to get into the rhythm and realize I'm not driving my car.

The dart kinda feels like a truck, you can't take corners like crazy and have to plan your moves but it can be done.

I like the rear a bit lower myself. Right when the wheel lip on the body covers an inch or less of tire. The rake is subtle, but nice.

I like the rear a bit lower myself. Right when the wheel lip on the body covers an inch or less of tire. The rake is subtle, but nice.

I disagree with the above posts , I had a new 383 form S in 1968, it handled very well , I remember running off from a hugger camaro of the day , in the ozarks , he couldn`t come close to keeping up with me !

View attachment 1715775388

that sits way too high for me.. plus high defeats the purpose of the RMS suspension.

Rani, them anti-sway bars you yanked off and scrapped were there to keep car flat while cornering.
The 4x4 guys rip em off and toss them. For articulation. I guess i should say the rock crawler guys.
I prefer the back a little higer than the front. But here in the country, front up is better for gravel roads.

Like so many others have already replied it is a pointless debate until drive train is in, then you can do a true assessment. It really comes down to when you walk out of the house and see her sitting in the drive does she make you smile. If she does your stance is correct.

I remember back in sixties I thought my 67 GTS would look good with front end raised so cranked the torsion bars way up. Less than 5 miles up the road my friend that was riding with me uncle had a 442 Olds started to blow by me and I floored it and put him back behind me. When we got to about 120 mph there was a slight turn in the road and I almost went to the woods so needless to say I turned around and lowered it back down. I could write a book n stupid things I have done and close calls, Joe

-
Back