To grease or not to grease a bronze oil lite input shaft bushing???

-
Motors still in the car. Bushings still in the crank with the clutch pressure plate and bellhousing still attached.

Give it a little grease. Something heavy that won't turn to oil with heat.

What are your experiences/thoughts on this? I'm told not to by clutch manufactuers but...

I would think that ANY type of lubricant could eventually work it's way out and on to your flywheel and clutch disc. I was taught to wipe my fingerprints off of a newly installed flywheel.

Well it's already in there and i can wipe part of the inside of it with my finger and it's a little greasy right now. So I can either try to clean it, or grease it.

This is the bearing in the crank for the input shaft of the manual trans?

I have allways installed it dry and I have never had a problem with doing it this way.

From the horse's mouth:

20koewm.jpg

Oilite bushings are bronze bushings impregnated with a lubricant, thus "oilite" name. It shouldn't be necessary to lube it. But if you choose to do so, go sparingly! It's not the same as a bronze only bushing which has no self lubricating properties.

As mentioned, oil and grease.

If there's enough clearance to let the grease slip past the input shaft...you'll have other more pressing issues and will be taking it apart shortly regardless. Besides....
The parts that don't like oil are on the other side of the flywheel....grease and oil are magical things but they can't teleport through an inch of solid metal.

416 is right....
Ever heat or grind a piece of this stuff?
It "sweats" out lubricant.

Of course there are other good points made here too...

Ya rolls the dice and takes yer chances!
Though I think either way, you'll be ok (long as you're sparing with the lube,if you choose that direction).

That much said, I'll go dry.

-
Back