To Wrap or Paint?

-

ConValiant64

Reaction score
I'm considering wrapping my '64 Valiant convertible instead of painting. I understand that the purists out there may be cringing at the idea of vinyl-wrapping a classic, but I live at the shore, and if the price is right (under $1,000), it could be an advantage given the corrosive salt air.

Any thoughts, opinions or insults from this A-body audience, will be appreciated and not taken personally. Have at it.

I've been told by a member here and a professional "wrapper" that in the end costs are approximately the same.
@2darts is the member and here is his beautiful dart! I've seen it in person and is beautiful.
Here is link to his shop.
AUTO TRIM DESIGN & SIGNS • Auto Trim Design and Signs

2darts dart wrapped.jpg

I looked into it a little bit as well and they are going to charge more than $1, 000 likely to wrap your entire car. Especially with some kind of custom graphic wrap.
I thought it would have been my cheap way out of the paint job as well but not so much...

I looked into it a little bit as well and they are going to charge more than $1, 000 likely to wrap your entire car. Especially with some kind of custom graphic wrap.
I thought it would have been my cheap way out of the paint job as well but not so much...

Depends on what you consider cheap, and the quality of the finished product. Good quality paint is expensive. The paint alone on my car was about $1,000, and that was with serious shopping. That did not include primer, sandpaper ect. If you do a primer blacked out car, it can be done fairly reasonable with paint. If you want something with color, custom graphics, then wrap is a lot less. Now for a street driver, I prefer paint, but would not blame anyone for going with wrap. I have seen some of the better wrap jobs, and they look great. If I were to do another race car, it would be wrapped.

Not exactly my thing, I always thought it looked like a pig with lipstick on when cars got wrapped. Your car, you do what's right for you. I just couldn't bring myself to cover the beautiful lines of a 64', but that's me.

Not exactly my thing, I always thought it looked like a pig with lipstick on when cars got wrapped. Your car, you do what's right for you. I just couldn't bring myself to cover the beautiful lines of a 64', but that's me.
I think the lines would be preserved, but it’s the trim and emblems I’d be concerned about. Are these wrappers going to remove and replace all the body chrome, or is the expectation that the car has to be stripped down? I’m gonna have to do some homework.

If you are hesitant, give Mike at Auto Trim and Design a call. It's his business. He does govt fleets, personal vehicles. He even wrapped kitchen cupboards. He will give you an honest opinion without pushing you one way or the other. He has flown into places and done wraps.
Top quality job with top quality product, 3M I believe.
It doesn't hide anything either. Surface has to be equally blemish free for either finish.

If you are hesitant, give Mike at Auto Trim and Design a call. It's his business. He does govt fleets, personal vehicles. He even wrapped kitchen cupboards. He will give you an honest opinion without pushing you one way or the other. He has flown into places and done wraps.
Top quality job with top quality product, 3M I believe.
It doesn't hide anything either. Surface has to be equally blemish free for either finish.
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and recommendations.

Mike had to tell some people its wrapped. Couldnt tell. Neither could I.
I've seen govt fleet vehicles in his shop that were glossy like paint and didnt know they were wrapped.
A wrap wont hide any body lines. Hell you may not even know it was wrapped unless standing right on it.

I had a badly cancered clear coat mess of a car and was told a DA sand and a wrap would make it look passable for a decent semi gloss paint job. On an older car with few sweeping curves, a wrap could be an alternative. I still may wrap my SC400 from the waist line up as its clear coat is F'd, but hood is flawless? That in matte or semigloss black would look nice against the dark red lower parts if I can follow a body line.

A few tings about wrap:
1. A good wrap job will look just as good as a good paint job from a few feet away. You might be able to tell close up, but I have seen some amazing wrap jobs.
2. Although a good wrap job ay cost a lot less than a good paint job, the longevity isn't here. Modern paint with hardeners and clear coats can easily look good for 30 years if well maintained. Wrapping needs to be done more frequently. I have heard that wraps last 4-5 years, but I don't know for sure. That longevity can be an advantage if you wanted to mix things up a bit and change colors every once in a while.
3. Just like with a good paint job, surface prep is king. If you wrap over flaws, you will see them.

-
Back