Today, dollar for dollar, is the 318 faster than the 340 ???

would you agree ?

• yep, the 318 wins if buying and building for under 3k

Votes: 48 41.7%
  • Nope, the 340 always has and always will beat the 318

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Actually, never thought about it like this... Good Point !

Votes: 10 8.7%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want it done on a 3.31 stroke.... :)
The night before you started this thread I was looking at 318 stroker kits. I thought it was funny you started this thread and the timing. A member just posted the other day about a 340 for sale that was rebuilt for $3900 that dynoed at 270 hp. For 3900 bucks or less probably way less I could buy a stroker kit a set of speedmaster or edlebrock heads port them, use my 318 block and use extra parts I have laying around and make 400-450 maybe more?

This guy just posted this on a small block Mopar post on Facebook. I told him to join Abodiesonly because there are fifteen 318 posts going on right now. Lol

F9FD204F-858A-4A39-82B0-54F7A3755818.jpeg

Turbo can be cheap if your willing to do any of the work by yourself. A draw through is under a stock carburetor and just needs a hot side routed up to the turbo and then a single large tube exhaust out of that. Crude simple power. Blow throughs need a modified carb (instructions online) and timing tweaks.

I jumped ahead in the thread, maybe this has already been said…. but… you can say a guy that already has a good 340 core will say it’s a no brainer, build the 340, but same guy might realize two seconds later that he has $1500 sitting there and how far THAT would go in a 318 lol.

I jumped ahead in the thread, maybe this has already been said…. but… you can say a guy that already has a good 340 core will say it’s a no brainer, build the 340, but same guy might realize two seconds later that he has $1500 sitting there and how far THAT would go in a 318 lol.

Or a 360.

Don't look now.... but the polls are showing as folks start to realize the 318 might be the right way to go, the 318's are catching up FAST !!!!!

You guys are so lucky with your engine cores, down under we are lucky to get a teen for a k, and good luck finding a 340 for less than 4K for a rebuilder.

2 years ago I answered a Facebook Marketplace advert. It was 10 engines and 4 trans, you-hual for free. Ended up with 1-4.3 GM, 1-307 GM, 1 busted 302 Dorf, 4 318's, 2-5.9 Mag's, and a 1972 MBB 400-4bbl. 3 trips in my Rampage.

The GM's and Ford went to a friend. He also took the 4 GM trans as a future core build for me.
I scrapped 2 of the 318 short blocks due to the plugs being out and were froze up.
Traded the 5.9's for some parts.
The 400 B was from a RoadRunner. dual snorkel air cleaner. It will become a 528 stroker some day.

Last edited:
I threw 2 318 in the garbage , nobody wanted the things back in 2010 , i bought 4 engines for 800.00 2 340 with 2 318 and an 83/4 with 3:23 posi there are probably good dels out there you just have to look at every garage and barn possible

You have to put more than a few hundred dollars into a 318 before it can even get close to a stock 340 with headers so there's that it's funny how the 340 is still the measuring stick of all Mopar small blocks! And there's a good reason for that actually it seems really simple. A 318 will never have the reputation nor the mystique or history of the 340 no matter what kind of lipstick and money you throw at it great little motor it will never be a street legend. 340s took down some of the biggest baddest small block combos actually pretty much all of them on the streets and the track in the day, people love that about the 340. Not so much how cheap you can build horsepower. If that was all there was to it everyone would build LS's. When the 340 hit the track and Street in 1968 it was a dominating motor that 80% street big blocks couldn't even handle. that's what people love about a 340.

I must have been in la la land, I/We didn't give small blocks a a 2nd look back in the late70's early 80's.
If it came with a small block it was replaced with a big block.
I have a 318 poly in a 64 D200 and a 360 in a 73 W200, That's enough small block for me. not impressed. lol

In the late '80s one of the very hottest street cars in our quarter of a million town was a w-2 340 roller motor it laid to rest every big block that was on the street so I guess it's where your bar

I doubt it but then again that puts you on par with everyone else purchasing aluminum heads because they think iron is junk unworthy of anything but a resto or door stop.
Everyone is on a different journey !!!
I have more money in these ( Relics) than new Brodix set up but its what I wanted & they also are going on a LA with 318 stamped on the side ( 90 over partial fill ) with 3.20 stroke photos very soon !

Screenshot_20210608-071930.png

FB_IMG_1622614523663.jpg

You guys are so lucky with your engine cores, down under we are lucky to get a teen for a k, and good luck finding a 340 for less than 4K for a rebuilder.
I have said that many times we are spoiled Americans , one day after most of us are feeding the maggots those old un-wanted 318s might pull $500 for a shortblock .

not now been back in Canada for 2 months
Welcome back home!!!!
Everyone is on a different journey !!!
I have more money in these ( Relics) than new Brodix set up but its what I wanted & they also are going on a LA with 318 stamped on the side ( 90 over partial fill ) with 3.20 stroke photos very soon !

View attachment 1715758714

View attachment 1715758715

Now you see here that is something you want to do and “Damn the cost! Full speed ahead!!!” The same goes for other things like 6 pack builds and cross rams. There are better inductions out there but there done because that person wants to do it.

Same deal with the W2 head. “Cast iron!!!” Is gasped all over. “Why!” The heavy head is the cry. “Your giving up 50lbs. in weight savings!!!!”

Speaking of which, I need to get mine very well ported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back