Toluene Dart - '73 swinger

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
Hi folks. Figured it was about time to start a thread, since I have parts building up in my living room and still too much snow outside.

So... I got this dart from my roommate.. who doesn't pay rent. He happened to purchase this dart from another friend and mine and then decided to give it to me for payment. So in all I recieved a '73 dart for free..

It seems someone started on the bodywork but never finished, but thats ok.. I need to learn about it anyways lol.
_MG_8649.jpg

trunk is very clean.. except for a little bit of dirt and gunk that needs to be washed out.
_MG_8653.jpg

I must say there is absolutely NO rust on this car.. except the surface rust that comes off with a solvent and a rag.
image001f.jpg

The car did come with a 318.. that they thought was a 340. But they really don't know much about mopars. So we got it home and in about 20 seconds I determined it's actually a '80 318 that replaced the stock one. The transmission is still original a long with.. pretty much everything else except air shocks.

The engine that i'm stuffing in there is going to be the 360 out of this:
100_0939.jpg

not a bad little power plant.

it's a 360 .040 with aftermarket "stock" styled pistons They dont' really sit too bad in the hole unlike some others i've seen they're about .070 - .075 down. Which with some math it says about 8.8:1 compression but i'm guessing a bit less than that.
It has a crane 272h bumpstick. Not too big but sounds gnarly as hell with flowmasters. It's also sporting a Summitracing Airgap wannabe intake which surprisingly works very well. There's a few more goodies going into it.. But i'll have to update in a few hours.

Time for work.

here's a couple engine pics.. still in the truck.. weather got crappy before we could finish pulling it.

367dart3.jpg

_MG_8663.jpg

Oh snap you live right up the road from me.

Yeah this snow is terrible to do any parts replacing in at all.

hopefully find a good magnum engine with wiring harness.. the carb doesn't do too good on the inclines when i'm wheelin. Be nice to have a fuel injected 5.9 in it. Need one from a 95 or older with a wiring harness and computer from a manual transmission.

yeah i'm going to keep the 904 for now and put in a street/strip shift kit in it... and a 28-3200 stall. Need a rear axle like an 8 1/4 or better.. Don't wanna risk it with the 7 1/4 that it has.

just nitrous... gears... stuff like that.. should be a fun cruiser.

Haven't been able to work on the car lately due to my crappy schedule and the weather always being junk when i'm off.. But finally got to play today.

I've been buying parts all winter and now it's time to get them in. New engine will also be thrown in within a couple weeks or so... Fun times.

image001-1.jpg

image001-3.jpg

image001-2.jpg

Soon there will be (have the parts just need 'em in):
a B&M street/strip shift kit
a 3200 stall torque converter
a 6 point cage/roll bar
a Hurst shifter
a fake leather racing seat (surprisingly comfy)
MSD 6AL box
Summit 8.5mm Black/silver plug wires (will match color scheme)
SFI approved B&M flex plate
some cheap o headers

and a bunch of other odds n ends..

Update....

I've been busy working so I really haven't had a lot of time to work on the car. But I have gotten a few things done. It's just about ready for the new heart.
Engine Bay -
Before:
_MG_8647.jpg

After: (sand blasters rock)
Photo-0094.jpg

Transmission -
Before: (didn't take a full transmission picture :/ )
Photo-0085.jpg

After: (with street/strip kit installed and mopar perf. pan)
Photo-0095.jpg

it's coming along good...

Before: (when we first found her behind a garage)
image001a3.jpg

After: (4 months later and only about 3 weeks of good weather in those 4 months)
Photo-0093.jpg

More to come...

After some transmission issues.. I found another one got everything bolted up... Now it's time for wiring and all the little tedious crap.

Good thing though the summit brand headers actually fit quite nicely. Never really realized how LITTLE room there is lol.

Now I need to order me a new radiator and a hood scoop. Seems that carb sits a bit high. 8)

Photo-0117.jpg

Photo-0120.jpg

Photo-0119.jpg

forgive the mess.. I was adding fluids. :D
Photo-0121.jpg

It... is... ALIVE!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHHA!!... (add lightening strikes here)

It moves... and it moves well. It likes to light up the one tire fire without much throttle.

forgive the photo's... crappy cell phone.

Photo-0132.jpg

Photo-0126.jpg

Photo-0127.jpg

Were you in the big lots parking lot around 11:45pm on 6/11/10?

The big lots by Meadowood mall? I saw a bad *** primer dart sitting there and thought it migh be you.

yup that was me.. lol

these pics are from the next morning at my works car show.

Photo-0142.jpg

Photo-0145.jpg

next time your out swing by and chat... usually I'm in a group of mustangs. lol

for sure, i was heading home from work, saw this dart and was like, could it be toluene from fabo? of course it was like almost midnight and I didnt want to look like a freak.

haha

for sure I'll stop by next time.

lol not a big deal.. usually that place is swarming with little ricer kids at midnight lol.

What size wheel and tire combo is that on the back i wanna go with a set up like that but dont know what the 73 darts can clear tire wise...

-
Back