Tommy's Demon project!

-

ultanium

Reaction score
I have always been a B and E body owner, sold my 72 Charger 440 about 6 months ago and I've been having Mopar withdrawal ever since. Well, as luck would have it, an ad popped up in Craigslist for an original 340 Demon, so I had to go look. It was indeed a 71 H code car, rallye gauges, factory sport hood, go wing, and 8 3/4 rear. Owner wanted $5k for it, but with the rust in the trunk and a 318 under the hood, I negotiated it down to $1800. The very next day, after getting the Demon home, a guy called with a late 70's 340 engine for sale, rebuilt but with no heads, and I bought it for $625. I checked the heads on the 318 in the car, and they were 915's, so now I have all of the pieces to build an original 71 Demon 340 for a paltry $2400. I am so excited! The only thing missing is the build sheet, and I was hoping there was a Demon registry somewhere, but I'm not having any luck with that. My first A body, and I score the cream of the crop, and got it for cheap! Gotta order some repair panels for the trunk, swap the engines and heads, and put the Demon on the street. Just thought I would jump in here and preface my build, will post pics soon!

Tommy Johnson
Houston, Texas

Just got it home.
2013-03-19_08-36-11_362.jpg

First and foremost is that I need a parts car, the PO robbed all the AC goodies, and this is Texas, gotta have it. I have been scouring CL and area salvage yards to find a good duster to part out for everything mine is missing, but they are either already picked clean, or want a mint for the car... The search continues!

Tommy Johnson
Houston, Texas

Think about a magnum serpentine swap. Plenty of them out there, the lines fit like a glove, just need to an adapter at firewall for A/C. Plus you won't be dealing with a 40 year old compressor, the system is more efficient and the price is decent, if you pull it yourself. $250-300? F*** Classic air!

attachment.php

Original thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=188547

I am definitely going restomod, do not want to change anything that would destroy the cars originality, but anything that I can bolt on to make the car more driver friendly, I'm all for. The serpentine belt and modern compressor are things that I have not considered, thanks for the tip!

Tommy Johnson
Houston, Texas

Question. Is there an aftermarket sway bar that will fit the factory location, ie the tabs on the lower arms?

Tj

Get ur azz busy! Should have the Camaro on the ground here in a week. Then your trunk pan can be sewn up!

BTW, welcome to the coolest A-body site on the internet!!! :)

Get with "leathermandan", he is the one who got my Cuda. He is changing everything as far as stock stuff like frontend, rear, Cal-tracks, Rally Dash and so on. Just pm him here!

Thanks Man! I have actually been lurking here for a couple years, but always posted on the b-body side. Thanks again for the tips and info today, got PM's out to everybody so I can get the parts together.

Tj

I forgot to tell you my buddie has a pair of 340 "X" heads and a 71 340 block unmachined.

Let me know what he wants for it! I now have two 340's here, one is a late 70 block punched 40 over, the other I got from George yesterday in a trade, and is a 69 that has never been bored. Two sets of 915 heads and got a brand new Holley for free yesterday, someone cleaning out their garage. First batch of new parts came in, new gas tank, radiator, and shifter. Still haven't heard back from the guy on the sheet metal though. More pics coming this weekend!

Tj

Excellent score on the Demon....and Welcome to FABO

Mopar to ya'
Denny

Excellent score on the Demon....and Welcome to FABO

X2

you find another for me.
I would buy for my daughter :)))))))))))))))

I hope for you you´r soooooooooo happy

-

No big updates really, have been burning up the plastic ordering parts. Do have a question though! Have a chance to pick up a really cheap (and rusted) 73 b-body with disc brakes. I have read so many threads about disc brake upgrades that I am lost... Will the b-body brakes work on my a-body? Plan to order some big pattern axles from Dr. Diff this week.

Tj

AFAIK, both the B and E body brakes will work on A bodies...along with the FMJ bodies. The only thing that doesn't fit, I think, are the control arms....but if you need them, I have a set of '73 up BBJ arms...probably need new ball joints, and certainly cleaned up, but I have a set that I am 95% sure I will never use.

If you go lurk around in the brakes section, I'm sure you'll find your answer about what parts fit where. Lemme know if you need those control arms...

-
Back