Tonight's movie...........Strategic Air Command, Jimmy Stewart

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Some great shots of B-36's, B-47's and "other stuff!!", 1955, June Allyson

From Wiki:

"In real life, during World War II, Stewart had been a B-17 instructor pilot, a B-24 squadron commander, and a bomb group operations officer, completing 20 combat missions. At the time of filming, Stewart, much like the character he portrays, was also a colonel in the Air Force Reserve, serving with the Strategic Air Command when on duty and at the time was qualified as a pilot on the B-47.[2] Stewart's military service and lifelong interest in aviation greatly influenced the making of the film. He pushed for an authentic but sympathetic portrayal of the Strategic Air Command, which led Paramount to put together a strong cast of Hollywood veterans and production people including June Allyson, Frank Lovejoy, director Anthony Mann, and the top stunt pilot of the day, Paul Mantz. The film accurately portrays (from the perspective of the 1951 starting point of the script) the duties and responsibilities of an Air Force strategic bomber pilot, and the demands such service places on family life."

I have no idea how many types of planes Stewart was qualified to fly, but he did fly at least one mission in 'Nam on a B-52, and was a qualified B-52 pilot

The Flight of the Phoenix is one of my favorites.

John Denver's dad was a B-58 Hustler pilot...as well as James Stewart (maybe) ..I think he was a 1 star in the reserves at the time.

The Flight of the Phoenix is one of my favorites.
Uh, THE ORIGINAL one..............You do know Paul Mantz was killed in the crash of that mess........"Tallmantz" Tallman was killed an a private plane crash years later. Ironic that the two icons of Hollywood aviation were both killed in plane crashes

RRR,
Agree F of the Ph was a great movie. Love the bit when JS finds the German passenger who designs a plane to get them out of the desert, is a designer of 'model' planes. I think the surname of that actor was Kruger.

Uh, THE ORIGINAL one..............You do know Paul Mantz was killed in the crash of that mess........"Tallmantz" Tallman was killed an a private plane crash years later. Ironic that the two icons of Hollywood aviation were both killed in plane crashes
I remember reading about that, yes.

RRR,
Agree F of the Ph was a great movie. Love the bit when JS finds the German passenger who designs a plane to get them out of the desert, is a designer of 'model' planes. I think the surname of that actor was Kruger.
That's my favorite part of it.....all of them just have a fit, but the guy's right. "The principle is the same", LOL

-
Back