Tonka Dodge Camper Restoration

-
Pretty cool- looked awesome all rusted up also.

Nice job overall, but he didn’t fill in the pits left by the corrosion. Those pits are still visible through the paint. I’m afraid that would drive me nuts every time I looked at it.

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

The tool he uses to put the rivets in is expensive.

what tool is it? it looks like a c-clamp with a special socket for the rivet to fit in?
asking cause I've got a bunch of these I "could" restore...someday:)
Until then, Make a diorama with a tree growing up through it.

I think I'd rather use a hand held rivet squeezer like the one pictured below that's commonly used for aircraft work. More expensive, but with all the different rivet sets available for it it's also more versatile. Even the head can be replaced with different sizes for different applications.
rivet squeezer.jpg

I had one of those , friend brought it over , it laid around for a long time and one day while cleaning the garage, gave it to neighbor kid, his dad backed over it

I think I'd rather use a hand held rivet squeezer like the one pictured below that's commonly used for aircraft work. More expensive, but with all the different rivet sets available for it it's also more versatile. Even the head can be replaced with different sizes for different applications.
View attachment 1715954332

I'd think that might also work for the 67-68 Barracuda grille surrounds and other aluminum grilles that you need to take apart to repair, polish and detail.

Last edited:
I have one!

I've got NOS in box one with same cab and chassis, but it's a Dump Truck.

I suspect its from 1974-ish. I found it in the garage buried still in Birthday wrapping. I had another Tonka Dump Truck very similar, so my dad put this brand new one away and forgot about it for 40+ years !

You can see the wrapping I saved under it when I un-wrapped for the first time as a 40+ year old!

I still have the "similar one" too, in second pic. It's very "played with"

My Dad was very practical. I can see him saying, "Why does the kid need two of the same toy?"

Copy of IMG_0126.jpg

Copy of IMG_0128.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one with same cab and chassis, but it's a Dump Truck.

I suspect its from 1974-ish. I found it in the garage buried still in Birthday wrapping. I had another one very similar, so my dad put this brand new one away and forgot about it for 40+ years !

You can see the wrapping I saved under it when I un-wrapped for the first time as a 40+ year old!

I still have the "similar one still too, in second pic. It's very "played with"

View attachment 1715958492

View attachment 1715958498
That is way cool!!

-
Back