Too many e-body hemi clones

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
I was bored and found this on ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars...hash=item180258335352&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

Im not a "it has to be orginal" kinda guy, but ive seen so many 318 and /6 70 challengers and cudas get turned into hemi or 440 six pack clones it would actually be different and cool to restore this car with the /6 as the engine. I pass up the e-bodies anymore at the big Mopar shows, but if I saw one of these /6 convertible challengers, id have to stop and take a look.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with...

I'd take an original 6 pack/hemi vert E and put a slanty in it. Just to piss off the snobby.

Hope I hit the lotto this weekend. :-D

IIRC there's a guy over at slant6.org that's swapped the 440 in a 69 Charger 500 with a slant!

Here's an example of a rare car! My dad called on this mint 67 dart on the side of the road...all original spring time yellow, absolutely mint and original for about 7k or so (we didn't end up getting it, I was pretty mad) anyway the guy who was selling it had an original 70 /6 cuda! He said it was like 1 of 17 or something...pretty unusual.

putting a six where a hemi was just to tick off snobby people sounds like something I would do.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with...

I'd take an original 6 pack/hemi vert E and put a slanty in it. Just to piss off the snobby.

Hope I hit the lotto this weekend. :-D

actuly i have had this dream about buying an all original survivor 71hemicuda convertible and build a bad to the bones race car out of, you know the whole deal with big wheelswells and cage cut the hood for a blower or tunnelram, just cause im so sick of some of this but now you got me thinking even more, that same dream but with a blower slant swaped in would be perfect

a buddy i work with in the winter time as an original 440 drop top challenger. he does body work and paint so it is MINT. he even had the plastic door panels covered in lether or vinyl!! it doesnt have the original 440 as he blew it up a while back but now it has a built up 440 with nitrous and it is a PURE show car, but he's not afraid to take it out every once in a while and light off the nitrous. he took me and my dad for a ride in it lit of the laughing gas, he was goin bout 50 and when he stood on it the *** end started coming out. it was awsome lol

I so couldn't agree more. In our shop we just completed two Corvettes back to back. The '62 got the complete makeover with '88 Vette suspension and a LS2/auto overdrive combo. The other is a '67 with a complete slalom suspension, '07 LS7/5spd stick with a hydralic clutch and an electric brake booster master combo. We even ran the exhaust thru the original sidepipes, sounds wicked. OK, I know, they're General Mayhem products, but ticking off the NCRS purists just makes my day.

Rev.

there are a few guys at a local show here that have unrestored slant six convertable challengers. they are the only ones i look at

There is a 1970 Dodge Challenger rag top in a junkyard near by, it is a 225 car, burnt orange with burnt orange interior. Too bad it is completly shot and stripped. My dads friend had a 1972 Barracuda with a 225, it is low milage and completly unrestored, show condition. He will never sell the car to anybody who will clone it! These 225 E-body cars are going to be more rare than the Hemi's someday!

There is a 1970 Dodge Challenger rag top in a junkyard near by, it is a 225 car, burnt orange with burnt orange interior. Too bad it is completly shot and stripped. My dads friend had a 1972 Barracuda with a 225, it is low milage and completly unrestored, show condition. He will never sell the car to anybody who will clone it! These 225 E-body cars are going to be more rare than the Hemi's someday!

I agree with you 100%. Even now, you just dont see many of them. Also the r/t hood gets used alot, seeing the standard, non r/t hood, is getting rarer also.

i have heard about slant six e-bodys(most are being converted) but ive never seen one... i would keep the slant six if it were me (even though i am not a big slant six guy) just because im sick of seeing the same thing all over ... maybe thats why i spend more time with my a-bodies than my challenger..

Really guys. Do you love Mopars because they are slow? Are you telling me you would rather have a /6 over a big block? You like the flat hoods over the R/T or 'Cuda hoods? Are you trying to be different just to be different? Looking at a car and not looking at another at a show is one thing, but what would you rather actually drive? How many times in the year outside of a car show do you see any E-bodies of any model or engine at all? They are all rare these days. I loved the time when everyone hated Mopars, they were dirt cheap, and I could get parts I needed at Pick-a-Part. I don't see there being too many of anything in this hobby besides people trying to make a buck, but even they cause more parts to be made available to us since there is now a market worth investing in.

It's the current E-Body madness that's taken over. It's getting on my nerves too.

I used to have a '73 Challenger Rallye with a 318. It looked mean with the rallye hood, but it was a dog. Everybody was blowing my car away. I mean, come on "Challenger"? It should challenge.

Anyways, I swapped a 340 in it after being smoked bad by a Hurst Olds. So, take out the anemic drivetrain & set it aside, & make the car perform as a Challenger. Make it easy to go back to original if needed.

The other thing is most don't have the original drivetrains, nobody expected theses cars to fetch the big dollars they command now. That's why #'s matching are so rare.

Just my 2 cents.

dont get me wrong i love goin fast, and my 318 challenger is getting a 440 ( although the 5.7 has been tempting lately) but the fact that you rarely see a slant in an ebody is what i think would be worth keeping.. my 69 dart was a slant but you see those everywhere so it was a no brainer (it is now a 440)... just my opinion..

actuly i have had this dream about buying an all original survivor 71hemicuda convertible and build a bad to the bones race car out of, you know the whole deal with big wheelswells and cage cut the hood for a blower or tunnelram, just cause im so sick of some of this but now you got me thinking even more, that same dream but with a blower slant swaped in would be perfect

Better yet get the Hemi car, and swap it out with one of the Hemi /6's from an Aussie car. Leave the badges on it! LMAO

I have a buddy that said if he hit the 300+ million powerball, he was going to buy every 71 Hemi vert E body, keep the best one and have a pay-per-view demolition derby with the rest...

Yeah, he's a little twisted sometimes!

I have a buddy that said if he hit the 300+ million powerball, he was going to buy every 71 Hemi vert E body, keep the best one and have a pay-per-view demolition derby with the rest...

Yeah, he's a little twisted sometimes!
that is something i would pay per view ... it would be a history making event

Oh the Humanity.. would make for great viewing tho.. can just imagine the threads and mag articles.. he'd have to into witness protection

Just a heads up, in the newest Mopar Collectors Guide, theres a 69 dodge charger /6 with a three speed. In the artical it says /6 69 chargers number close to the r/t chargers 462 /6 vs 463 r/ts. I wonder how many /6 challenger convertibles there are?

-
Back