Tool list 2GO

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
i am in the process of restoring an old metal tool box from the 70s to replace the plastic case of a newer tool set ......i am doing this to keep tools in the car....

but comes the question ......what should be on a good tool list to keep with the car.

i am not sure all the tools are needed from the newer set bcoz there is no metric on a 68 dart (at least i hope not)

so im thinking:

SAE socket set
SAE wrench set
screwdriver set
flashlight
test light
needle nose pliers
regular pliers ...
maybe channel locks (robo-grips)
medium prybar
wire cutters/ plier and some wire connectors

what else is good to have on hand in the unlikely event of Dart failure and being stuck on the side of the road?

Attachments

• CIMG2611.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 471
  • CIMG2612.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 464
Jumper cables, can of Fix-a-Flat, Crescent wrench, emery cloth, WD40, nitrile gloves, grease rag, wire stripper / crimpers, ?

A hammer never hurts !!Maybe a set of allen wrenches,an extendable magnet for that screw you dropped way the hell down there where fingers can't get !!Fuses,BALLAST RESISTOR !!Tire plug kit,or can of Fix a Flat.Various size lamp bulbs.

Adding your tools plus a ballast resister, Ecu, voltage regulator and a flash light with tools to change them out.
A manual can opener, sharp knife and T.P. and a roll of tie wire
for repair or to build a snare with to
trap food if needed, I would have to put a volt meter in there also :glasses7:
Did I mention I like to use strong old purses to carry my tools in :sign7:
Anything that will not rattle/rust and easy to carry, nothing as good as a ladies old big leather purse Rani :cheers:

i use an old military tool bag they can be found at most all army surplus store for cheap and there roomy and pretty tough.

My kit has pliers, needle nose, crescent, vise grip, SAE wrench set, SAE socket set and ratchet, 2 Phillips, 2 flat head, wire cutters and crimper, flashlight, fuses, wire, various elcrical crimp ends, vacuum port plugs, short pieces of tubing, wire ties, and bungee cord.

Rani, I know you don' wanna hear this, but when I was in the Navy (six pack Road Runner days) I carried all my tools all the time--had no other place for 'em most of the time!!! I had about 150 lbs of tools back there in two big "clamshell" tool boxes. This one isn't mine, but it's just like the ones I had.

(One time I got into a little bit'o street race, and it was pretty close. The other guy thought I should've done better. I opened the trunk and said, "you wanna try it again after I empty the trunk?"

Concentrate on what you need for "keep it running." You can drive far enough to buy a headlight, and you can drive quite a ways without a regulator or alternator, so long as the bearings are OK. "Set of screwdrivers" could be a "4 in 1" which gives you 2 sizes of both straight slot and phillips.

Be sure to think about special wrenches for that one hard to reach bolt. Does you no good to have everything to change a part, but not that one special short extension to get out a broken plug with those headers, etc.

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 433
  • box2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 444
Cell phone and a credit card! I have a small tool kit like your's Rani. I figure if I can't fix it with that I might as well call a tow truck. tmm

AAA card.
vise grips
prybar
screwdriver set
socket set
pliers (Needlenose and regular)
wire cutters
Screw trouble lights and voltmeters, get a f'real multimeter
a roll of insulated multistrand wire (14 guage)
Wire connectors
fuses
jack and stand
electrical tape
duct tape
Penetrating oil
loctite
knives or razor blades
cheap vernier caliper
hacksaw
allen wrenches
wire brush
hammer (Ball peen)
crescent wrench in 3 sizes
regulator
ballast
ecu (I leave the factory wiring in place in all my hoop-d's, in case any aftermarket systems die)
I know some keep a spare distributor
fuel line (3 feet)
clamps
I'm sure I'll think of more...

Adding your tools plus a ballast resister, Ecu, voltage regulator and a flash light with tools to change them out.
A manual can opener, sharp knife and T.P. and a roll of tie wire
for repair or to build a snare with to
trap food if needed, I would have to put a volt meter in there also :glasses7:
Did I mention I like to use strong old purses to carry my tools in :sign7:
Anything that will not rattle/rust and easy to carry, nothing as good as a ladies old big leather purse Rani :cheers:
My wife doesn't like it when I put tools in her purse:banghead:

Rani, I know you don' wanna hear this, but when I was in the Navy (six pack Road Runner days) I carried all my tools all the time--had no other place for 'em most of the time!!! I had about 150 lbs of tools back there in two big "clamshell" tool boxes. This one isn't mine, but it's just like the ones I had.

(One time I got into a little bit'o street race, and it was pretty close. The other guy thought I should've done better. I opened the trunk and said, "you wanna try it again after I empty the trunk?"

Concentrate on what you need for "keep it running." You can drive far enough to buy a headlight, and you can drive quite a ways without a regulator or alternator, so long as the bearings are OK. "Set of screwdrivers" could be a "4 in 1" which gives you 2 sizes of both straight slot and phillips.

Be sure to think about special wrenches for that one hard to reach bolt. Does you no good to have everything to change a part, but not that one special short extension to get out a broken plug with those headers, etc.

weight is a problem, if the tool box gets too heavy for me to carry .......of course once its in the car i can work out of it i suppose

Cell phone and a credit card! I have a small tool kit like your's Rani. I figure if I can't fix it with that I might as well call a tow truck. tmm

i would just need a ride back home ....i have a truck and trailer for recovery.......and i refuse to let anyone else work on my older cars .....no one cares about your car like you do.......i feel violated if anyone gets behind the wheel of my dart except my cousin ......he is only one lol

my family keeps telling me to get a cell phone .....i had one before but nobody used to call me and it was a waste of money. that plus i want to be free ......i dont need telemarketers calling and more noise in my life than i already have. :D

One day I hope to put a cool tool box together but as of now, I don't carry anything aside from a standard and Philips screw drivers and a replacement ECM and a new resistor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MoPar-Fan-B...799?pt=Tool_Boxes_Storage&hash=item19d836513f

well i am restoring old toolboxes for this purpose in another thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=235117

but i have to say that you just indirectly gave me an idea.

how about painting the tool box to match the car......i am going to paint my 68 dart yellow with black bumblebee stripe so i think i can match the theme on the tool box. :happy1:

I didn't see anybody mention a tape measure.

I know you said for side of the road, but you'll probably be driving it to swap meets and junk yards. You never know when you'll want to measure the diameter of a brake drum or flywheel or the width of a rearend housing.

-
Back