Tool rental or loaning program for members

-

Keystone

Reaction score
Hey mods, or whomever, I had an idea that might be a nice way to help out the folks on here. I have to replace the extension housing bushing in my 904 and there is a tool available that lets you do it with the extension housing still attached. This is the way I'd prefer to do it as it's simpler and I can't seem to find an extension housing gasket. The issue is the extractor/installer tool set rather expensive, especially for something that will be used maybe as little as once. And even trying to find one that's available to ship is difficult. This one here isn't currently available:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011SBIAI8/?tag=fabo03-20

This one shows "1 available" but is $340
Rear Extension Bushing R & I | Kent-Moore | J-38119

In searching here for some information of the procedure, I've seen at least two members on here mention that they've purchased the tool set. So I was thinking, why not setup a new sub forum where members can rent out these sorts of tools for a small fee? The tool owner gets to make a little money off something that's just sitting around in a tool box and help a fellow Mopar enthusiast at the same time. The renter gets to use the tool for a small price instead of having to purchase it.

The rental fee could include shipping for small tools, and and larger ones, like say an engine test stand could be pickup only. The renter would pay an upfront fee which covers the agreed value of the tool with shipping, then the owner would refund an agreed amount upon its undamaged return.

I think this would be a great service to offer, maybe even a way to help people support the site by making it exclusive to gold members, but I'm just thinking out loud there. Of course if this has already been discussed or even tried, I missed that.

How about a deal where members can donate tools they don’t need anymore to the program and whoever wants the tool, pays for shipping to them. Then they hold the tool until the next member needs it and they ship it with the next guy paying for shipping. Could this work?

Great idea but I just know someone will fack it up, whether the tool gets lost broke or stolen.
Hate to be a downer.....

I wouldn't rent a damn thing for a "small fee". Where's the incentive to return it? I would rent something for the full purchase price, plus shipping and return that when I got my tool back. Renter paying return shipping, of course. That way, if it does not come back, it's paid for. Why in the hell would I rent for a "small fee"? That puts ME as the only one taking a chance. No thank you.

I wouldn't rent a damn thing for a "small fee". Where's the incentive to return it? I would rent something for the full purchase price, plus shipping and return that when I got my tool back. Renter paying return shipping, of course. That way, if it does not come back, it's paid for. Why in the hell would I rent for a "small fee"? That puts ME as the only one taking a chance. No thank you.
I was thinking the same thing
That's how advance auto does it here I just rented a slide hammer to do my rear axle bearings and seals it was 187 dollars and I get refunded when I turn it back it.

I was thinking the same thing
That's how advance auto does it here I just rented a slide hammer to do my rear axle bearings and seals it was 187 dollars and I get refunded when I turn it back it.

Right. I've been buying tools since 1974. That's 46 years. I have six tool boxes/roll carts that are full. It's not my responsibility to provide tools for someone "just because" they don't want to buy them. Old cars are something that have been in my life a very long time. As such, I BUY the tools it takes to work on them. The suggestion that I should rent my tools for a "small fee" is ridiculous.

Right. I've been buying tools since 1974. That's 46 years. I have six tool boxes/roll carts that are full. It's not my responsibility to provide tools for someone "just because" they don't want to buy them. Old cars are something that have been in my life a very long time. As such, I BUY the tools it takes to work on them. The suggestion that I should rent my tools for a "small fee" is ridiculous.
I've lent tools to friends and never gotten them back.

I love tools I have tools I have bought and used one Time and will probably never need them again but I like to have them just in case I do. I am gonna buy a slide hammer to have I just rented one because I needed it now. Didnt want to wait on shipping i bought the axle bearing puller kit I might as well get the hammer too. They told me I could keep the one I rented but I found one cheaper I will return it and buy my own to have. I have all kind of speciality tools like cam bearing tool, ridge reamer, seal and bearing drivers. Valve guide cutters etc. That I have bought for my project hopefully someday I will have another project and can use them again lol

ive borrowed a couple of tools from a couple members here that were kind enough to do it. I paid for shipping both ways and threw in a few bucks. all told it would have cost me about 400 to buy them , only to use them once. it worked out great, but I'm a great trustworthy guy

ive borrowed a couple of tools from a couple members here that were kind enough to do it. I paid for shipping both ways and threw in a few bucks. all told it would have cost me about 400 to buy them , only to use them once. it worked out great, but I'm a great trustworthy guy
I borrowed a tube cutter from my buddy moparmandan to cut my rear axle. He is a good guy.

Indeed, I agree. You are. It's unfortunate though, not everyone is and that's where the hangup would be.

I could see it going bad because, well, some people see opportunity and just can't resist taking from others.

And let me clarify, I'm not trying to piss in this guy's Corn Flakes. I know what I have in my tools and it's a lot. A whole lot. Local friends that want to come over and borrow my whole shop and tools too? I got no problem with that. I'll even help. For free. Same with online friends. I have to draw the line "somewhere" as they say.

Great idea but I just know someone will fack it up, whether the tool gets lost broke or stolen.
Hate to be a downer.....

Yeah, I know. It's sort of like the Dunning - Kruger thing, but instead of intelligence it's about honesty. In other words it's probably very workable between people who are honest and trustworthy, but of course that isn't everyone. I guess it is a bit of a stretch to offer up something you paid good money for to someone you've never even met face to face. Good point.

That's why I also said:

The rental fee could include shipping for small tools, and and larger ones, like say an engine test stand could be pickup only. The renter would pay an upfront fee which covers the agreed value of the tool with shipping, then the owner would refund an agreed amount upon its undamaged return.

Just as a for instance, say the bushing tool is $339 new, so let's call the agreed value $370 since pretty much all online site charge sales tax now and there will likely be shipping too. So hypothetically I could pay a total of $415 to cover the deposit, the shipping to me (say it's $15), and the fee (for example $30) to the owner. I'd use it, ship it back and the owner would then refund the $370 when it's been returned.

I have lent my guage tester out a few times but not a biggie was a home made unit. Worked out well for all, but also kind of knew the member.

And let me clarify, I'm not trying to piss in this guy's Corn Flakes. I know what I have in my tools and it's a lot. A whole lot. Local friends that want to come over and borrow my whole shop and tools too? I got no problem with that. I'll even help. For free. Same with online friends. I have to draw the line "somewhere" as they say.

Fair enough. That's probably a decent summary of most people's views.

I will only loan tools to people that live close enough to me that I can go “collect” if they aren’t returned in a timely manner. No friggin way am I shipping tools across the country.

I have lent my guage tester out a few times but not a biggie was a home made unit. Worked out well for all, but also kind of knew the member.

Yeah, that does make a difference; knowing someone vs. a random person off the net. Maybe this is something better left to people who are local to each other then.

I did some more searching and found these someone selling one on ebay of $81. Probably made of Chineesuim
Bushing Driver Removal and Installer Kit T-0161-A | eBay

I loan tools locally. To help out.
Loaned a young guy my coil spring tool,so he could do struts. told him a good set is $75, cheap investment if hes going to do it often. 3rd time he didnt return it as promised,left me in a bind.
so for him not giving a crap, i booted him. Dont come here looking for tools or advice,then cause me problems.

As others mentioned, renting is fine, but in most cases it isnt worth the hassle.

i know it would be handy,would help a lot of people out for sure, but i make my living with my tools. Cant just let them go when someone needs them.

It's best to go to your local Advance Auto or rent-all for specialty tools. I have loaned tools out before. It never ended well.

Go to any local dealership on a cold visit where you know no one and ask a mechanic or two if they'll rent you a tool.

Go to any local dealership on a cold visit where you know no one and ask a mechanic or two if they'll rent you a tool.
People actually do that. Twice i was asked out of the blue to lend tools. Told them both to piss off and get out of the shop.

My philosophy has gotten to the point that "they are MY tools", I bought them for my usage. I used to loan tools out before I retired & the majority of the time they came back. The few times they didn't, I told the borrower "you owe me the tool you lost & I expect you to replace it". By & large, come Monday after payday I got the replacement tool. A couple of times they tried to slip in cheap tools that I handed back to them & then transferred them to another job site. I've loaned my automotive tools locally, only so I can collect them if need be & if I had to collect them, I never loaned to them again. Ten years ago, I loaned out my engine hoist & transmission jack to someone I've known for 40 years, I'm still waiting for them to reappear in his garage because he "loaned" my tools out to someone else. This incident also ended a long time friendship. So bottom line, don't come to me for tools, go "buy" your own!

-
Back