tools need to remove driveshaft 1988-2003 Dakota/Ram 1500 ?

Shop, Garage and Tools

1. rustytoolss

rustytoolss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:43 PM
    Been a long time since I needed to get a used driveshaft at a junkyard. So bare with me. The older mopars used (4) 7/16 headed fine thread bolts to hold the straps . Do the newer Dodge truck use the same stuff ??? Don't want to find out I need metric tools/ or Torx drive tools to pull a driveshaft.

2. Northern Grit

Northern Grit Active Member

Local Time:
    8:43 PM
    No, that's quite a range of possible rear yolks between years and body's. Some older ones will have the saddle type but could have Ethier a 7/16" or an 8mm (5/16"). Or they could have a non saddle type with 9/16", 13mm, or 15mm bolts holding the 2 piece rear yolk together. Or if it's 02 and later could possibly be t40, or t45 bolts on the 2 piece rear yolk.

3. rustytoolss

rustytoolss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:43 PM
    Well I need to get a driveshaft (no 2 piece driveshafts) that was used for an A500/A518 overdrive trans. That might be better info.

4. Northern Grit

Northern Grit Active Member

Local Time:
    8:43 PM
    Ok, bone yard will probably call that trans a "42RE" and should have a saddle type. Could be either 7/16" or 5/16".

• Like Like x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.