Top End Miss

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok as most of you know i have had a couple of other threads on this issue...

i figured since we have moved on from the original thoughts i would post a new thread...

ok so here is what i did and what happened...

i installed 4.88 gears, from 3.91's, becasue my trap rpm was only 5 grand and i wanted it up around 6K... so in went the gears and out to the track, had a very bad miss from 5400 and up...

came home and installed a new fuel pump (street carter to holley red)(already had new 3/8" steel line and p/u) and also drilled out the fuel rail... this bumped it up to 5600...

then we thought ignition might be to blame so i installed an MSD box, blue streak cap, and rotor... no change...

so on a hunch we checked valve springs, they were 75seat, 250 open... so i installed new springs @ 300 open, 120 seat... moved the miss up to 5800... which is where we are now...

as asked i checked the cap and the "burn mark" is constant across the entire brass contact, on all contacts...

i have a friend who is going to let me use a wide band setup with data logger to see if anything come up there... also gonna back timing off and see if that helps...

here are the other threads
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=171722

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=177219&highlight=valve+spring+woes

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=168274&highlight=shooting+ducks

Do you take the air cleamer off? If so maybe you are getting too much turbulence messing up the vacuum signal on the carb

Do you take the air cleamer off? If so maybe you are getting too much turbulence messing up the vacuum signal on the carb

i take it off at the track... but on the street i run it (obviously) and have the same issue in the same place...

as asked i dropped my timing from 30 to 24 but had the same miss at 5800...

Hydraulic cam ? My 408 had the same problem over 5800 when the lifters were set at zero lash.I preloaded the lifters to 3/8 turn and no more missing all the way to 6200...

Hydraulic cam ? My 408 had the same problem over 5800 when the lifters were set at zero lash.I preloaded the lifters to 3/8 turn and no more missing all the way to 6200...

nope solid flat... 246 @ .050 .475 lift... its a slant but really thats irrelevant...

probably the carb cfm

just tossing these out there as well, i'm not sure if you addressed these yet
-biggest headers you can get? (exhaust backpressure)
-cooler heat range on plugs?
-largest valves you can get in the heads?

probably the carb cfm

just tossing these out there as well, i'm not sure if you addressed these yet
-biggest headers you can get? (exhaust backpressure)
-cooler heat range on plugs?
-largest valves you can get in the heads?

has a 600dp on it

1 5/8" tubes 2x 2.5" collectors... best other than custom steps, run axle dump axle dump exhaust 2x 2.5 into single three thru a super 44... at the track i have 12" 2.5" extentions

running street hemi plugs autolite 65's

valves are 1.7/1.44 defiantly the norm, thinking if of goin to a 1.8 intake though someday....

Its in the valve train IMO.If not the valve lash ,and it has solids ,maybe its spring bind at high rpm .Have you checked that out ? You got me thinking when you said you up'ed the springs /pressure and the miss went up another 200 rpm ...

Not sure if this will apply to your case just thowing it out there. i had a similar problem with my car, at the top end of the track it would stop pulling and sometimes regain just before the end but not always..after checking everything I could think of..turns out it was my fuel delivery system, mainly the filter I had between the tank and pump...last week at the track it did it and this time I looked down at my fuel pressure gauge...it was zero.....checked the plugs in the pit, very lean, I was running out of fuel when I needed it most, not because of the pump but the filter had debri in it....just a thought.

Its in the valve train IMO.If not the valve lash ,and it has solids ,maybe its spring bind at high rpm .Have you checked that out ? You got me thinking when you said you up'ed the springs /pressure and the miss went up another 200 rpm ...

yes i set the installed height on every valve... so no binding... besides this only started with the gear change, i changed springs in trying to fix it... made it better but not gone... lash is 16/20

Does it miss, or just nose over?

miss... feels like a couple of small pot holes... you know that surge feeling i mean...

Not sure if this will apply to your case just thowing it out there. i had a similar problem with my car, at the top end of the track it would stop pulling and sometimes regain just before the end but not always..after checking everything I could think of..turns out it was my fuel delivery system, mainly the filter I had between the tank and pump...last week at the track it did it and this time I looked down at my fuel pressure gauge...it was zero.....checked the plugs in the pit, very lean, I was running out of fuel when I needed it most, not because of the pump but the filter had debri in it....just a thought.

has a new filter and made sure the pump had no junk in the screen on install but cant hurt to change filters...

The one slant I fooled with had a .530" Isky solid in it, full length headers, 4 bbl, much of the same stuff as yours. I did run double valve springs, which I'm not sure is necessary with the small, light valves in a slant, but I ran a 750 cfm. carb. I pinged it off 7K a bunch of times. I don't know how high it would rev before it would skip, I never had it happen. Can you borrow a bigger carb to try? Everyone thought I was nuts running that big of a carb, but it ran really well.

Are you running uncorked when it happens?

it does it thru full exhaust and open headers...

The one slant I fooled with had a .530" Isky solid in it, full length headers, 4 bbl, much of the same stuff as yours. I did run double valve springs, which I'm not sure is necessary with the small, light valves in a slant, but I ran a 750 cfm. carb. I pinged it off 7K a bunch of times. I don't know how high it would rev before it would skip, I never had it happen. Can you borrow a bigger carb to try? Everyone thought I was nuts running that big of a carb, but it ran really well.

its starting to cross my mind...

ok if i tried a 750 should i go vac or mech? im thinking being its so big...

also whats a good model to go with? prefere dual inlets, not the cross over tube...

A vacuum carburetor will have best results with an automatic transmission.

No stick?Still with a 246@.050 solid,gonna need some stall.Never had good luck with big cams,high stalls with a vac sec.Still more than one way to skin a cat.

-
Back