Top fender mounted turn signal issues

-

A-Body Bruce

Reaction score
Anything else on a car I can do....But I really suck when it comes to wiring. That being said...my fender top signal lights are inop. I know that there is a special turn signal switch for the fender mounted signals as they run through the switch. Possibly that could be the issue,however, I have some wires that are disconnected in that circuit under the hood. The right top fender signal plugs into a jumper wire that go's to the left side. Here is where I am having an issue. In between the core support and the battery there are two bullet connectors disconnected. One is a black/with an orange tracer (female)...the other is a black/with a green tracer (male). Following the wires and removing the tape revealed that the wires were actually joined together further down. The wires are bare and one looks like it may have a diode in line. I taped them up and moved on. The wire/wires end up going to some kind of solenoid/switch with two multiple wire plug in's. I guess what I am trying to say is....I wonder if those aforementioned wires have anything to do with the fender mount signals. I actually have the 1974 Plymouth factory service manual with the "V" body line wiring diagram to look at. When I look a those wiring diagrams....my mind go's BLANK!!! If any of you folks could help out on how the top turn signal wiring hooks up in the front harness...I would be forever grateful. Remember who you are trying to help out..The "Wiring Dunce"....so keep it simple !...lol:banghead:

I have never worked on a 74 (year of your Valiant?), but in my 69 Dart, I recall the top "turn indicators" were just wired in parallel to the lower lamps. Indeed, it was a single "hot" wire, with return thru the body. Same deal in my 65 C-body. I did use a 74 Dart engine & light harness in rewiring my 65 Dart. As I recall, it had single "bullet" connectors going to additional turn lamps which were probably the indicators. That connector is probably what you thought was a diode. It should just pull apart.

Your problem is probably either a bad bulb (likely) or a bad ground. In my Newport, the bulb is in a removable socket, which I only realized after tediously removing the whole indicator housing. Don't know about A-bodies, but you could search for photos on ebay. You might replace it with an LED bulb that should last forever, since they aren't easy to access.

According to the 74 Plymouth wire diagram I saw the driver side is black with light green tracer and passenger side is black with tan tracer which could be mistake for orangish color I guess.

Also from the diagram it looks as though the wires should come from the wiring of the turn signal light on the same side as the fender signal.
View attachment 74ValiantA.jpg

..my fender top signal lights are inop. I know that there is a special turn signal switch for the fender mounted signals as they run through the switch. .............................. In between the core support and the battery there are two bullet connectors disconnected. One is a black/with an orange tracer (female)...the other is a black/with a green tracer (male). Following the wires and removing the tape revealed that the wires were actually joined together further down. The wires are bare and one looks like it may have a diode in line. I taped them up and moved on. The wire/wires end up going to some kind of solenoid/switch with two multiple wire plug in's. I guess what I am trying to say is....I wonder if those aforementioned wires have anything to do with the fender mount signals.

There is only one signal switch.

I have never worked on a 74 (year of your Valiant?), but in my 69 Dart, I recall the top "turn indicators" were just wired in parallel to the lower lamps.

Bill is right in most cases. But "there is a trick."

I cannot remember the name? of the option. There was a "trick" option that was supposed to aid fuel economy. It was a vacuum switch and I think a relay, and I believe it was ONLY hooked to the left front fender indicator. Worked like a vacuum gauge. The more vacuum dropped, it turned on the left front fender lamp

Here we go, "Fuel Pacer"

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=117794

img0003ng.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/crazydave1972/75-Dart_00151.jpg

The bad part is, I don't have any decent documentation/ wiring on this, if that is what you are up against.

Attachments

• fuelpacerenginebaydiagram.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,333
Thanks for all the help. When I was searching for a new turn signal switch on ebay. There was one for $26 which was the conventional one...and there was one for $86 stating that that was the one for the fender mounted turn signal switch along with the column mounted hazard switch....

BTW...I do have the fuel pacer system...all the stuff is there just like in the picture. If push comes to shove...I see no reason why the fender mount signals could not be connected to the turn signals mounted in the grill. The fender lights receive there ground through the mounting screw anyway to complete the circuit.

That's exactly correct. I would think that since the fuel pacer is an option, it can be stripped out and you should be able to figure it out from there. I've never heard of a "special" switch. But then that's ebay, and I have been wrong before.

Yup....could not stand any more "Brain Damage" on this....just took the most logical move and wired the left side with a bullet connector to the black with a green tracer to the fender signal...and the right same thing only to the black with a tan tracer..and everything works fine. HOWEVER! a word of caution...make sure that the fender mount light has a good ground to the fender....scrape the paint off the fender underneath the lamp..clean the connector tabs on the bottom of the light ....and wire brush the mounting screws and re-install...if the ground ain't perfect...the signal won't light! Thanks to all of you guy's who came to my aid!!!!

I have the fender mount on my 69 fish and they work most of the time except for when they don't which is about 50% of the time. Through the years I've replaced the bulbs, sockets etc. and they work for a while then find some way to lose their ground or the bulbs get corroded or the wire falls off. About twice a year I pull em apart and give em a dose of WD-40 which seems to help. Another quick tip, I've had bad bulb contact in the past and I find if I put a bigger solder blob on the end of the bulb it'll make contact.

I didn't know about the fuel pacer option but it sounds like a bigger maintenance issue.

I have the fender mount on my 69 fish and they work most of the time except for when they don't which is about 50% of the time. Through the years I've replaced the bulbs, sockets etc. and they work for a while then find some way to lose their ground or the bulbs get corroded or the wire falls off. About twice a year I pull em apart and give em a dose of WD-40 which seems to help. Another quick tip, I've had bad bulb contact in the past and I find if I put a bigger solder blob on the end of the bulb it'll make contact.

I didn't know about the fuel pacer option but it sounds like a bigger maintenance issue.

Gotta have good solid connections and good solid grounds! And remember, the late great Carrol Shelby said: "Fuel economy? We don't give a s**t."

ATB

BC

You have no idea how much this thread just saved my ***. I kept thinking there was some electrical sorcery built into my duster and had planned to tear into the dash to find a short in the fender signal light somewhere.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the Duster fender signal kept turning on at half throttle cruising. Of all the things that still need fixing on my Duster, why does my fuel pacer magically still work after all these years? Why couldn't the windshield gasket still seal and the fuel pacer fail instead?

LOL. This damn thing pops up every once in awhile. I can just see the bespeckled pocket protector equipped conservative ordering this completely useless option at the time, LOL

nasa-geeks.jpg

"It's got the BIG six in it, you know"

Haha! 'The big Six', very funny, this thread just helped me out with my 75 Swinger, left fender light on constantly, after going back and checking it out it looks as though I had inadvertently disconnected it while troubleshooting a vacuum leak:eek:ops: Thanks again FABO friends!

Wasn't that another Federal mandate, like the seat belt interlock?? Just our Big Brother looking out for our best interests - no matter what it cost or whether it worked or not. 'Scuse the OT, please.

BC

LOL. This damn thing pops up every once in awhile. I can just see the bespeckled pocket protector equipped conservative ordering this completely useless option at the time, LOL

nasa-geeks.jpg

Was what a Federal mandate, the fuel miser thing? No it was a n option.

The cops will tell you when you are using too much fuel. :)

I found that it's kind of tough to find an LED that will fit in the plastic lense hole for the fender signals.
Even though they are a standard 194? bayonet bulb, the hole in the plasic isn't big enough for a standard LED replacement.

I have a 66 barracuda with the fender mounted turn signals, and the passenger side is out. I'll check the ground, but my question is this. Is the bulb able to be replaced? It looked to me like the amber part under the chrome cover and the bulb was one unit.

I have a 66 barracuda with the fender mounted turn signals, and the passenger side is out. I'll check the ground, but my question is this. Is the bulb able to be replaced? It looked to me like the amber part under the chrome cover and the bulb was one unit.

Yes - Don't have one in front of me right now; IIRC the bulb holder unscrews from the housing. I like those 66 fender mounted turn signals so I'm adding them to my 65 Dart wagon.

nasa-geeks.jpg

LOL, that's the funniest thing I have read all day!

Took the turn signal apart this weekend. Bulb checked out good. Cleaned that baby up and it worked ! Was the ground. This board is awesome!

-
Back