1. Dana67Dart

Dana67Dart The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    Anyone ever had this situation and how did you recover from it.

Top installer thinks the top is not correct for the application.

Could the top be moved forward by repositioning it on the tac strips around the well?

IMG_20200202_173013_01.jpg

2. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    2:19 AM
    looks like its 1/2" too deep in the anchor strip? Just by looking at corner, never owned a vert.

3. WayneShelton

WayneShelton Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Convertible tops can shrink. My brother has a 57 Lincoln Premiere Convert. When ever hes not driving it he leaves the top up.. One year he forgot to and when he went to raise the top it wouldn't latch until it got warm enough to stretch back out. Yours looks like what he had going on. Also talk to a good automotive upholstery shop that works on convert tops and see what the say. They might say the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Dana67Dart

Local Time:
      I have a top installer doing the work. He said it looked like 1 inch too short.

I agree about the shrinkage. This is a new top in a heated garage. My old top looked like this at the rear window from 52 years of shrinkage.

Seems like the top could be moved forward and it would fit better, but what do I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • clementine

clementine Flight risk FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        I agree that the top looks like it could come forward. Does the guy say it has the ability to move forward?

I kinda got a bit jazzed at the title at first.... but then realized it wasn't the blue forum.....

Good luck none-the-less....

• Like Like x 1
        • Jim Lusk

Jim Lusk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          I'd say installed wrong. Mine was not installed correctly on my GTS before we bought it and worse with the "professional" I had replace it.

And, yes, there should be more material to adjust with, BUT it's already stapled down and will have holes in it. The rear bow needs to be adjusted to the proper height, then the top laid down to make sure that it lines up...

• Like Like x 1
          • Dana67Dart

Local Time:
            My thoughts was that the height looked ok from the photo. But it needed to move forward about an inch. It doesn't look like the top is stapled to the rear bow so no holes there.

Will have to see what the installer figures with the top company and the upholstery shop that arranged everything.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
          • Oldmanmopar

Oldmanmopar Going left turning right FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
            5:19 AM
            They can be moved. You install the top around the well with the top unlatched and up a little. Put the car in a well heated room and then latch it it will stretch out all the wrinkles also. I did my top and interior panels myself. I had the same problem with the roof so I had a guy that knew what he was doing help me on the top. He knew exactly where to position it from experience. To tight and it will eventually tear. To loose and you'll have wrinkles.

spoiler pics 616.jpg

spoiler pics 617.jpg

spoiler pics 671.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
            • Dana67Dart

Local Time:
              Well the mystery was solved. Electron, when using my glass, mounted my glass 2 to 3 inches too low in the curtain. Had they put it in the correct height, the first top would have fit fine.

They made a new top (no charge) and added material to the window opening and it now just covers the glass mostly correctly.

Moral to the story... Deal directly with the top manufacturer, and send your existing OEM top for them to copy. I'm sure their generic glass would have fit fine.

• Like Like x 1
              1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.