Torque Boxes

-

GMachineDartGT

Reaction score
Can anyone speak from experience regarding the fitment of either Auto Rust Tecnicians or US Car Tool torque boxes?

I used the US Tool box plates and they fit very well and easy to install. That is my recommends, good luck

Depending on what you are looking for in terms of original correctness.
I used Restorick. Looks correct and fits very well.

Made my own. 1/8" steel plate. Made em overlap over the top of my subframe connectors at the back. One side is welded in installed then smoothed out w JB weld. Other side is just clamped into position at time of pix being taken.

Screenshot_20180102-094944.png

Screenshot_20180102-094954.png

Screenshot_20180102-095008.png

Screenshot_20180102-095002.png

I've installed the US Cartool torque boxes on both my Duster and my '71 Dart. They fit both cars very well. A little tweaking is need if you have subframe connectors to get the rears up against the floor because the boxes will likely overlap the connectors some, but at least on my cars it wasn't a big deal. As with all the other USCT parts I've installed they're very well made and strong, the fitting necessary is pretty minor, some fitting is going to be needed with any aftermarket body part.

IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4303.jpg
IMG_4296.jpg
IMG_4306.jpg

I've installed the US Cartool torque boxes on both my Duster and my '71 Dart. They fit both cars very well. A little tweaking is need if you have subframe connectors to get the rears up against the floor because the boxes will likely overlap the connectors some, but at least on my cars it wasn't a big deal. As with all the other USCT parts I've installed they're very well made and strong, the fitting necessary is pretty minor, some fitting is going to be needed with any aftermarket body part.

View attachment 1715126537 View attachment 1715126538 View attachment 1715126539 View attachment 1715126540
Torque boxes have got to help and subframe connectors should be a bigger improvement. You guys that installed them, did you see a big difference and describe the difference if you would. Thanks

Ran my parking brake cable inboard of the subframe connector as well. This way its a straight shot to the back, and the cable and subframe connector wont interfere with one another.

First pic if from the front facing back. Its a 3/4" hole. The second pic from the back, the hole is only large enough so the parking brake cable circular retainer clip can fit and retain the cable. I used a 6" long drill bit to run a pilot hole all the way thru the crossmember so both sides line up. I mocked this up with my zee bar and speedometer cable. There is enough clearance to reroute it this way.

At the time of the pix being taken i had only pinned the subframe connectors in place.

downloadfile-56.jpg

downloadfile-61.jpg

Torque boxes have got to help and subframe connectors should be a bigger improvement. You guys that installed them, did you see a big difference and describe the difference if you would. Thanks
Dunno yet. Cars not done. But i am sure they help a lot.

Ran my parking brake cable inboard of the subframe connector as well. This way its a straight shot to the back, and the cable and subframe connector wont interfere with one another.

First pic if from the front facing back. Its a 3/4" hole. The second pic from the back, the hole is only large enough so the parking brake cable circular retainer clip can fit and retain the cable. I used a 6" long drill bit to run a pilot hole all the way thru the crossmember so both sides line up. I mocked this up with my zee bar and speedometer cable. There is enough clearance to reroute it this way.

At the time of the pix being taken i had only pinned the subframe connectors in place.

View attachment 1715126541

View attachment 1715126542
That's slick Matt.

On both of my cars I installed the torque boxes and the subframe connectors at the same time, so, I can't really say how much they help individually. On my Duster I also installed J-bars and a tubular radiator support brace while I was adding all the chassis stiffening. It makes a big difference over stock, especially with improved suspension and tires. Without the stiffening there's a lot of creaks and rattles, and when you start pushing the car harder in the corners I could feel some vagueness in the response that was eliminated after the chassis stiffening. With my Duster is wasn't as significant as my Challenger, but the challenger has rust issues in structural places. That car would actually give me a "spooky" feeling when I was out in the mountains having fun, the chassis flex was that evident. But again on the Duster it was never that obvious, but it doesn't have any rust issues.

I haven't had the Dart back on the road since I did the subframes and torque boxes on it. I did pretty much the whole USCT stiffening kit on that car as well, so it also got the inner fender braces and radiator support brace. I know it'll make a difference, but on that one I don't have much of a reference because the only times I had it on the road it had the stock suspension and skinny little radials on 14" rims.

I plan on doing the inner fender braces as well on mine. My radiator support was effed up, so i made my new rad support out of 2x3 thin wall boxed steel. Notched it for the radiator lower tank, and then boxed that back in.

Last edited:
Can anyone speak from experience regarding the fitment of either Auto Rust Tecnicians or US Car Tool torque boxes?
I have auto rust techs full rear frame rails trunk floor with extensions front & rear torque boxes and their sub frame connectors all installed by them as they are not too far away. Cant really speak about ride performance because the car used to be a slant 6 and still not completely finished with a 360. But these are mopar guys and that is their main product the owner gave us a tour of the shop where they make all this stuff and it is quite impressive. Highly recommend their products. Keep in mind my car is about 200 pounds heavier with a bunch of dynamat and they did two coats of 3m undercoating which affects leaf springs as I have just posted a question about ride height.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got the Dart torn down due to some rust at the firewall extension. 20 track days haven't been kind to the unibody either. I already have subframe connectors, Xv rad brace I made way back. I' m installing Auto Rust frame caps from the rad all the way back to increase stiffness along with some xv inner fender braces.
I have cracks at the firewall, inner fender and both frame rails on the bottom and an upper arm mount starting to tear from the inner fender...

I have a set locally if you want to see how they fit. Also there is a company that does full length rails for the abody, but its an involved process. I am also going with the frame caps for my 70 which has extensive rust issues.

I have a set locally if you want to see how they fit. Also there is a company that does full length rails for the abody, but its an involved process. I am also going with the frame caps for my 70 which has extensive rust issues.
Thanks for the offer. I placed the order already.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got the Dart torn down due to some rust at the firewall extension. 20 track days haven't been kind to the unibody either. I already have subframe connectors, Xv rad brace I made way back. I' m installing Auto Rust frame caps from the rad all the way back to increase stiffness along with some xv inner fender braces.
I have cracks at the firewall, inner fender and both frame rails on the bottom and an upper arm mount starting to tear from the inner fender...
Good choice! you wont be disappointed with those frame rails they are heavy duty.

I'm not sure how, but I received everything from Auto Rust Tech in one day...
Besides the repairs, the goal is chassis stiffening. The Auto Rust caps will reinforce the frame rails from the rad support to the front floors. I will double the amount of spot welds at any inner structure I can reach, add inner fender braces as well as tie the upper control arm mounts to the inner fenders.

20180103_221854.jpg

20180102_193238.jpg

20180102_193231.jpg

SOP - Not really. I think it depends on the car, and also that these are incremental improvements. The way to tell for sure would be paved oval lap times, or for the 1/4 mile folks, 60' and 1/8 times on slicks. For launching like that it should also reduce wrinkling of the quarter panels...

My MP connectors rusted through a couple of years ago, so I'll be replacing this winter. Now that the rules I run under have changed, I'll be attaching a brace to each side.

I'm not sure how, but I received everything from Auto Rust Tech in one day...
Besides the repairs, the goal is chassis stiffening. The Auto Rust caps will reinforce the frame rails from the rad support to the front floors. I will double the amount of spot welds at any inner structure I can reach, add inner fender braces as well as tie the upper control arm mounts to the inner fenders.

View attachment 1715127167

View attachment 1715127168

View attachment 1715127169
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Sorry a bit late, but I used ART's boxes as well. At the time, all that was available. You'll have to tweak for fitting.

The metal that has been torn (cracked) on my car has been the top of the trans tunnel - floorpan behind the rear seats. This is where the braces behind the seat attach to the floor, and also close to the pinnion snubber contact (if one is set up that way - I'm not anymore). I think my car's damage may be unique to the quality (lack of) on my car's assembly but worth taking a look around there.

Started with adding spot welds instead of ugly stitching. Started with 1/8 drill to center rotabroach. Rotabroach metal from top surface. Clean base metal then weld. Tap area with a hammer and now it' thud, thud.

20180107_101915.jpg

20180107_101928.jpg

20180107_101952.jpg

I used the US Car Tool torque boxes on my 69 Dart GT. They fit well and hold up under the strain. I liked them enough that I ordered a set for my 72 Challenger as well.

-
Back