Torque Converter for daily driver?

-

65barracudaLA

Reaction score
I'm about to put a '69 318 in my '65 Barracuda. I'm having a 1965 V8 A904 rebuilt with a later, larger input shaft. The car has a sure grip 7-1/4" rear with 2.76 gears (I think). It's my daily driver and I won't be racing it, so what's a good torque converter? I'm really just looking for best fuel economy. When I look on most parts websites, there are barely any stock converters in stock.

PzGjoaNEwVYdtAVxE_iAy3UYkjOh_h1Ibny2ni8P1o3vVt-YnsJocc9JrX9tzGdNlNNHX1A=w798-h1064-no?authuser=0.jpg

factory 904 tc. Many people pay to have the same thing in a "Saturday night special" aftermarket converter.

Do you have a part number? I'm having a hard time figuring out where to find one and one that's also in stock. And many that are listed are for 727s and not the 904. I guess the specs to look for are: 11" converter diameter. Non Lock-Up converter type. Thick mounting. 27 splines. Is that correct? Only one available I found was this one so far: A904 STOCK stall Heavy Duty torque converter -Non-Lockup - 27 SPLINE w Ring Gear | eBay Ideally I wanted something new and not rebuilt.

Call Precision of New Hampton. Tell them what you want.

Do you have a part number? I'm having a hard time figuring out where to find one and one that's also in stock. And many that are listed are for 727s and not the 904. I guess the specs to look for are: 11" converter diameter. Non Lock-Up converter type. Thick mounting. 27 splines. Is that correct? Only one available I found was this one so far: A904 STOCK stall Heavy Duty torque converter -Non-Lockup - 27 SPLINE w Ring Gear | eBay Ideally I wanted something new and not rebuilt.
Factory 904 converters from a "known good" car are next to free. Shipping will be high. I bet you get one shipped to your door for about 75 bucks

I just checked RockAuto. They are out of stock also. Someone on FABO should have a known good one to sell you. Hopefully near LA!

3000-3500 or it will be a real slug at a red light. Unless its and RV or a vehicle for towing then a 2000-2500 are for those applications. The fleet cars like Taxi's and Police Coronets and Satellites in 71-74 came with a 2500-3000 and a part throttle kick down valve. I loved those transmissions just the way they came.

stock slant six torque converter will also work great the lower stall to get that car moving with less throttle equals good mileage. Unless you know the mileage on that motor i would slap a new double roller timing chain on it.

I always turn the crank back and forth to tell how much slop the chain has. Then buy a pre-71 chain and gearset. They're not retarded a half a tooth like the 71-up smoggers.

-
Back