Torque Converter in a 904

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
New build with a rebuilt torque converter through a local shop who the guy is a MOPAR guy. He has done the last 4 for me. Been driving the Valiant on local roads for a few miles less than 35MPH. First real drive. Hit 55 and heard this screeching. Pulled over checked fluids, all good. Turned around back home no noise. Went for another ride and pulled over after 3 miles and loud racket like bearing or something. Back home. On the lift sounded like the TC bolts loose hitting the shield. checked everything and nothing loose. It sound like a screaching, grinding sound. It is working and shifting fine. Can a TC make that sort of racket?

Note it make this noise in park and just running now.

Last edited:
Are the bolts loose at the crank to flexplate? Take the cover off and run it and see what it does. Kim

God I hope not! I know I blue locktighted them and tightened the crap out of them. Good idea though.

Something has gotten loose somewhere along the
line. Or Thrust on Crankshaft or bearing has gone South.
Just possibilities. Hard to definitively diagnose from 300
miles North of you.

Something has gotten loose somewhere along the
line. Or Thrust on Crankshaft or bearing has gone South.
Just possibilities. Hard to definitively diagnose from 300
miles North of you.

Everything is brand new/rebuilt/restored

That sounds like the converter might be stacked against the pump. I can't imagine a professional would do that though

What does this mean? When I installed the TC I had to pull it back out of the transmission a bit to get the flex plates bolts started. It ran for over an hour breaking in the cam and like I said several miles at low speed without a sound.

Generally, converters make a buzzing sound or sometimes grinding. But they mostly produce the buzzing when the transmission is low on fluid.

What does this mean? When I installed the TC I had to pull it back out of the transmission a bit to get the flex plates bolts started. It ran for over an hour breaking in the cam and like I said several miles at low speed without a sound.
Since you had to slide it out a bit you should be good. What I'm talking about is when you don't get the converter stabbed far enough into the trans and the converter's input shaft is pressing against the pump inside the trans. My trans guy called it stacking the pump but I don't think that's your problem.

Here's a resource that explains it better than I can:
https://hughesperformance.com/wp-co...orque-converter-installation-instructions.pdf

How far out did you have to slide the converter?

Last edited:
Since you had to slide it out a bit you should be good. What I'm talking about is when you don't get the converter stabbed far enough into the trans and the converter's input shaft is pressing against the pump inside the trans. My trans guy called it stacking the pump but I don't think that's your problem.

Here's a resource that explains it better than I can:
https://hughesperformance.com/wp-co...orque-converter-installation-instructions.pdf

How far out did you have to slide the converter?

About what they said. Enough that it was was easy to spin the converter to get the right alignment (360) of holes but not that it could pull it out of engagement. Enough to see a gap. 1/8” maybe

Well this sucks. This is a new old stock shield I don’t think it was cracked when I put it on. Oh well time to break out the welder and do a little shaping

37EE8074-BC42-4863-8731-0FDCF80368E1.jpeg

D8C8AFB1-F41A-47D1-AAB8-6A5C47908CE2.jpeg

7E906C15-8040-4009-B031-9FEC7AC497F1.jpeg

-
Back