Torque Converter question

-

desotoragtop

Reaction score
I have a 64 Barracuda with a warmed over 273 Commando engine. It's got a nice lumpy idle and the original converter is pretty darned tight. The car stiffens up when dropped in gear.
I would like a little higher stall speed but was told by TCI that since my 904 is a push button type the spline count is different than the later 904's and they don't carry anything to fit.
I'm not going to be racing but would like a little help at the stop light and a easier idle.
Any ideas?

The problem is the early crankshaft register diameter. There are virtually no after market high stall converters available. You can have one made by Dynamic torque converters or other manufacturers. It won't be cheap, but you won't be disappointed either! 65'

I agree with plymouth65 regarding off the shelf availability, there is none. I had one built for a car by a local converter rebuilder and fellow drag racer. At that time when an aftermarket converter was $400 my special one cost $695. I'm sure the costs are even higher now. To me it was worth it because I'm a push button "Junkie" ! But I should add this was for a track car primarily used for bracket racing and not used a lot on the street. It's a tough call, my two cents.

Since your just looking to get conv loosen up a bit ! Why not take the one you have out and take it to your local transmission shop and see what their conv people would charge you to loosen yours up ? Or just buy another from them that they have already loosed up !! I would think a couple hundred bucks and you would be back in business !! Just my 2 cents

The problem is the early crankshaft register diameter. There are virtually no after market high stall converters available. You can have one made by Dynamic torque converters or other manufacturers. It won't be cheap, but you won't be disappointed either! 65'
will have to go totally custom
give ProTorque a call

I ran into this issue with my 1966 904. I sent PTC a spec sheet on my car so they could build a torque converter for the exact build. I paid the $525 and waited. After it arrived I bolted it in, buttoned everything else up, put the car on the ground ready for the first drive with the built 5.9. put it in reverse to back out and........... nothing.

After verifying linkage and manual shift lever, I dropped the transmission. Found that PTC had made the converter for a 68 and newer larger input shaft.

So, I made lemonade and found a 1974 transmission, rebuilt it, and I'm Rockin' and Rollin'. Great thing about the new converters is they act normal (relatively) during normal driving, but mash the pedal and you better be pointed in the direction you want to go, lol.

At least now my entire drivetrain is done and I learned how to rebuild a 904!!

I agree. Talk with some a couple of shops to see if they can rebuild it.

Trying not to flog a dead horse, but I assume you have synced up the Transfer slots so you can idle it down some...
If the stiffening up is your only complaint than idle-speed might be an easy solution.
If banging into gear is a complaint, that can be changed too.
What can't be changed without a higher stall is a slow as molasses take-off with no tirespin.

-
Back