torque converter recommendation needed

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
circle track 904. Either an off the shelf one that is "close" to my needs or possibly a $$ custom built one dead on for my app. What companie(s) should I contact? thank you for your time.

Would be interesting to know the "needs" of a circle track converter.... Assuming something low stall and tighter than tight. Might call around and see if any of the builders are familiar with the needs of a dirt car. fwiw I've used Lenny (Ultimate) for way over 20 years now for my converter needs.

Would be interesting to know the "needs" of a circle track converter.... Assuming something low stall and tighter than tight.
When I make my choice I will post the info. yes I am thinking I want to minimize the "loss" from the TC.

I am running an FTI torque converter. Bought used from ebay. Took my chances. I have read the specs and it is a nice strong converter. I think it has standard anti balooning plate. Also have heard good things of trans specialties converters. See them for sale on ebay for reasonable price new. FTI is a little higher new.

Oh stall is rated around 3400-3600. And is a 9.5" converter. Dynamic is probably the favorite go to converter of choice. PTC is a nice piece too.

not a ptc fan.... while they've been touted on a few mopar sites, a friends experience with them I couldn't go there.

I always run a custom ATI treemaster. But my current street car has a 9.5" Dynamic.

not a ptc fan.... while they've been touted on a few mopar sites, a friends experience with them I couldn't go there.

The Demon Disaster? The 3 or 4 tiimes those things were in and out of the car, blowing up transmissions. Yeah that's one of about 5 I know of where things just didn't go right. As soon a a different brand converter was installed, issues went away.

Quickdart360, I've used it for 4 years on the street with 3.23 gears and a pump gas 500" motor. It has been great, no problems.
I finally drove it to a track this summer, ran mid 10's and drove it home. It's showing 17.5% slip at the track which I wouldn't want in a drag car but a couple we'll known experts told me it's only because of the 3.23 gears, especially with a stroked big block.

I spoke with Dynamic & they said something about needing a "significant" amt of slip which surprised me as I thought tighter would be a bennie (for sure they know more than I do) & they wanted to know how it was acting off of the corners & I have no ans for that as it is my first time at this track & it is a new car (74 dart)/new setup. they are going to send me a questionaire per my request. RR

Wow sounds about right Prosport! 3.23's do affect stall as does size and torque productiin of your engine. I may try my dynamic @ some point. Right now am excited to swap cam rear & intake on my 360. Rear going from 3.55s to 3.91's. Intake 2 plane to holley strip dominator. And cam from 280 mopar cam to 292 advanced 4 degrees as per crackedback!!:thumbsup: just want a simple mean old skool set up!:D

Wow sounds about right Prosport! 3.23's do affect stall as does size and torque productiin of your engine. I may try my dynamic @ some point. Right now am excited to swap cam rear & intake on my 360. Rear going from 3.55s to 3.91's. Intake 2 plane to holley strip dominator. And cam from 280 mopar cam to 292 advanced 4 degrees as per crackedback!!:thumbsup: just want a simple mean old skool set up!:D

I mentioned more advanced than 4* ... :)

If the converter is a true 4200 flash, it should move pretty well when tuned up. Even the 3500 one should work OK. The 3500 would benefit from the cam being advanced more.

Oh & thanks for your advice on converter! I don't really want to take apart everything in running gear so I'll try the one in the car now which is the 3400-3600 stall.

Talk to the rest..then call the best Ultimate Converter!!!

The Demon Disaster? The 3 or 4 tiimes those things were in and out of the car, blowing up transmissions. Yeah that's one of about 5 I know of where things just didn't go right. As soon a a different brand converter was installed, issues went away.

yeah Billy's Demon... think they had the trans in/out 6 times. One of the "repaired" converters wouldn't even slip on the input shaft the splines were so messed up inside it. I was in Vegas when they towed all the way from Rocklin... unloaded the car, and one of them literally broke in the pit area. I think toward the end Bill had two converters from PTC as they sent him one while he was removing the other broken one... he never said the customer service was bad... but sure played hell trying to get their piece to go down the track. He finally put an ATI in it per Al's recommendation (thing he was really sick of trans r/r on the car) and it ran fine until he parked it.

-
Back