torque converter

-

CoyoteDuster1970

Reaction score
trying not to beat a dead horse here but will the torque converter in my slant 6 904 work with the small block 904 and my 5.9 magnum with the factory flexplate? its just a stock 5.9 nothing done to it beside changing from EFI to carb.

Pretty sure your going to need to knock any weights off the converter and buy a b&m flexplate for the externally balanced 5.9. Not 100% but I’m guessing someone will chime in shortly.

The torque converter will need to be neutral balanced, meaning no added weights. The factory Magnum flex plate will work, you just have to waller out (is that a word?) One of the flex plate to converter bolt holes.

The only other thing is the diameter of the recess in the crank vs the diameter of the snout on the converter. I know very little about slants.

My example is, for a short time I used a 66 small block converter on a 5.9 Magnum, but used a bushing over the converter snout since the crank recess is larger on newer engines (67 up?) as compared to the diameter of the converter snout of the 66. I also wallered out one of the flex plate to converter bolt holes.

Somebody with slant experience will chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks just trying to see if i can use the slant converter or if ill need to buy a new one. This will just be a temporary set up for the summer cruises so not trying to spend an arm and leg on it.

The engine is a late 90s 5.9. I believe the trans is out of a 72 or 73 If i remember correctly. It came with my 72 scamp when i bought it along with a 318. But no converter.

The snout should be the same size. Just knock off any weights on the converter and you'll need to oblong one of the flex plate holes.

Btw, I'm still using the same flex plate. When I bought a new converter from PTC, it came with 7/16" bolts so I had to enlarge all of them!!

Awesome. Ill make sure i remember to knock them off when i am ready to install the new combo. The /6 combo is still in the car yet. Once this engine is done itll be getting dropped in. Thanks for the help! Im sure ill have more questions along the way but atleast you guys here have the answers

I was under the impression the 5.9 Magnums were still externally balanced.

Yes, if he uses the factory 5.9 flex plate and harmonic balancer with a neutral converter he'll be good.

Yes, if he uses the factory 5.9 flex plate and harmonic balancer with a neutral converter he'll be good.

Oh ok, so the Magnums balance through the flex plate then. The converter isn't involved. Ok. I knew they changed some things around, but I wasn't sure what. Thanks.

Yeah, its hard to keep track of, for sure.

My factory flex plate has a weight welded on the perimeter. There wasn't anything wrong with it so I just kept it.

Do you guys have any books on the engines, transmissions etc...that you run or just go by the seat of your pants.
I sometimes think you guys are just putting each other on.
It is almost too funny to read these posts.

Do you guys have any books on the engines, transmissions etc...that you run or just go by the seat of your pants.
I sometimes think you guys are just putting each other on.
It is almost too funny to read these posts.
There is a couple books from Mopar Performance that all have the same info in different formats but I think they are out of print now, so finding a used copy is the main way to get one.
The best info comes from the guys that have similar swaps up and running.

-
Back