torque specs for wheels

-

chloros340

Reaction score
I went to costco for some bfg's for my duster. They said they would not touch it because they could not find the torque specs for the lug nuts. dose any one know the torque of the lug nuts for a 73 plymouth duster

Well there is Customer Service. Tell Cosco to kiss of. Any Service manage who really wants you as a customer and your money would of picked up the telephone or gone on line to get it or most service guys know that 85 to 90 pounds / inch is average. That's sad.

It's all a cover your butt thing, I went to wal-mart to have my tires rotated, they wouldn't touch them because one tire was wore beyond spec, but I could drive away like that, my dad took his oldsmobile to walmart for an oil change, they wouldn't do it, because the oil plug was too tight. It's all lawyer b.s. to protect them from lawsuits. Don't know that I have ever torqued my lug nuts, but then again I'm not a department store mechanic. If I am at home I will first tighten them with an electric impact, then tighten them with a 1/2 breaker bar. I always say that tighten them until they break then back off a quarter turn.

shop manual states 7/16"-20 55 ft-lbs and 1/2"-20 65 ft-lbs,I have a buddy with a 70 dart that kept breaking his for overtorquing them.hope this helps

It's all a cover your butt thing, I went to wal-mart to have my tires rotated, they wouldn't touch them because one tire was wore beyond spec, but I could drive away like that, my dad took his oldsmobile to walmart for an oil change, they wouldn't do it, because the oil plug was too tight. It's all lawyer b.s. to protect them from lawsuits. Don't know that I have ever torqued my lug nuts, but then again I'm not a department store mechanic. If I am at home I will first tighten them with an electric impact, then tighten them with a 1/2 breaker bar. I always say that tighten them until they break then back off a quarter turn.

I hear ya on the Wally World. That is bad advice on the wheel nuts. Follow the manual.
Brad
Aircraft Engineer

thanks guys for the input. they have them the cheapest in town. i can get them online for cheaper but after shiping and handleing and mounting and ballancing it ends up being the same.then they try to add in disposal fees for each tire but i just take it to the landfill and recycle them for free

.............. most service guys know that 85 to 90 pounds / inch is average. That's sad.

I hope to heck you aren't a service manager

shop manual states 7/16"-20 55 ft-lbs and 1/2"-20 65 ft-lbs,I have a buddy with a 70 dart that kept breaking his for overtorquing them.hope this helps

Yup RIGHT OUT OF the service manual.

thanks guys for the input. they have them the cheapest in town. i can get them online for cheaper but after shiping and handleing and mounting and ballancing it ends up being the same.then they try to add in disposal fees for each tire but i just take it to the landfill and recycle them for free

Buy them, walk out.....Have them installed elseware.

Couldn't even imagine letting someone at cosco or wally world or sears
ect ect touch my cars.

LOL. It's all about liability. Friggin' lawyers!

What they are saying is that too many a**holes on this planet have sued them and they can't take chances anymore. It's not their fault, it's the a** bandit rump rangers out there that sue at the drop of a hat that are ruining things for everyone. You can't blame them. I owned a bar for years and I could talk all night about frivolous law suits.

When I worked for Firestone it was company policy to torque the lugnuts, just for the reason you pointed out. They have torque charts hanging on the walls in the shop with the different specs on them, and if it by chance it wasnt listed on the chart they would find it.

QUOTE=Mopar to ya;1815138]What they are saying is that too many a**holes on this planet have sued them and they can't take chances anymore. It's not their fault, it's the a** bandit rump rangers out there that sue at the drop of a hat that are ruining things for everyone. You can't blame them. I owned a bar for years and I could talk all night about frivolous law suits.[/QUOTE]

One reason I finally quit dealing with Les Schwab tire is the way they "torque" nuts

They CLAIM they torque 'em, and they even USE torque wrenches

BUT they YANK on the wrench until it clicks 1 or 2 or 5 times, and then JUMP on the thing like it was a breaker bar.

Is the torque specs on a Mopar 1/2"-20 any different than a Ford 1/2"-20? (or any other brand for that matter)

Is the torque on a Mopar 1/2"-20 any different than a Ford 1/2"-20? (or any other brand for that matter)

It's all about bolt size, threads per inch, lubrication, and bolt quality. If you find a generic chart of fastener torque you'll find that many of the listed torque specs for head bolts, rod bolts, etc, follow pretty close to "any other" fastener of same size thread and hardness

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

shop manual states 7/16"-20 55 ft-lbs and 1/2"-20 65 ft-lbs...

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought this might still help someone:

View attachment IMG_3241.jpg

This is from a "1973 Plymouth/Chrysler/Imperial Chassis Service manual".

Although the manual doesn't specifically say it here, I take it to mean that drum brakes with 1/2" studs are torqued to 65 ft/lbs as well.

`

View attachment 1714888525

Although the manual doesn't specifically say it here, I take it to mean that drum brakes with 1/2" studs are torqued to 65 ft/lbs as well.

`
weld wheels all have said 95 lbs.
think the lawsuits are probly over stupid kids hammering the lugnuts too tight and such. I `ve rotated the tires on my wifes mercury and had to use a 4 ft cheater to get some off after her having them done at a mercury dealership before. and found some hand tight ! fords have been well known to warp brake rotors from overtightening around here too.

View attachment 1714888525

This is from a "1973 Plymouth/Chrysler/Imperial Chassis Service manual".

`

The factory drum brakes used 7/16" studs, the disc brakes used 1/2". Over torquing can ruin the holes on the steel wheels.

Well there is Customer Service. Tell Cosco to kiss of. Any Service manage who really wants you as a customer and your money would of picked up the telephone or gone on line to get it or most service guys know that 85 to 90 pounds / inch is average. That's sad.

That's entirely too tight.

That's entirely too tight.

Yes it is, for steel wheels. However, they recommend numbers like that for aluminum wheels now (modern cars). I have 12mm nuts (about the same size as 7/16") on a new Ford with aluminum wheels and the recommended torque is 95 ft/lb.

Yes it is, for steel wheels. However, they recommend numbers like that for aluminum wheels now (modern cars). I have 12mm nuts (about the same size as 7/16") on a new Ford with aluminum wheels and the recommended torque is 95 ft/lb.

I was kinda thinkin this forum was for older cars.

I was kinda thinkin this forum was for older cars.

Yes, but the specs in the old '60s/'70s manuals are for steel wheels. I don't think any old Mopars came with aluminum alloy wheels until, when... the '80s? Seems to me torque specs on aluminum wheels are always higher.

If you had, say, a 69, you'd know better than to take it to Costco, because they'd set the gun to 200ft/lb trying to remove the left side lugs by turning them the wrong way. After they broke three off they'd tell you to go elsewhere... LOL

-
Back