Torsion bar crossmember install

-

Ron816

Mopar forever
Reaction score
I'm replacing the floor in my 68, the torsion bar crossmember was in OK shape, but I figured while i'm into it this far may as well replace it, is there anything I need to know other that mounting the new one in the same position?, it seems pretty straight forward, drill out spot welds install new member. I intend to install the torsion bars to make sure everything is lined up. I wll support the frame rails while removing the old member, is there anything I'm missing?
IMG_0065.jpg

IDK man, maybe I'm just lazy; but if it looks ok why create more work for yourself than you have to?

Yeah I’d leave it alone unless it’s significantly rusty. Maybe wire wheel it a bit and put a coat of POR15 on it before I buttoned it back up.

If I was going to take it out with the floor already removed I’d tack a 1” bar or something across the rockers to reinforce things a little while I replaced the crossmember. Maybe a couple of them. You don’t want stuff moving around when you replace a crossmember.

Yeah I’d leave it alone unless it’s significantly rusty. Maybe wire wheel it a bit and put a coat of POR15 on it before I buttoned it back up.

If I was going to take it out with the floor already removed I’d tack a 1” bar or something across the rockers to reinforce things a little while I replaced the crossmember. Maybe a couple of them. You don’t want stuff moving around when you replace a crossmember.
I hear ya about leaving good enough alone, but I'm really anal when it comes to doing things, I'll have a nice new floor and an old pitted crossmember, it will drive me crazy after doing all that work, especially when all its gonna take is drilling out a few more spot welds, I'll definitely take your advice about doing a little bracing just in case

I hear ya about leaving good enough alone, but I'm really anal when it comes to doing things, I'll have a nice new floor and an old pitted crossmember, it will drive me crazy after doing all that work, especially when all its gonna take is drilling out a few more spot welds, I'll definitely take your advice about doing a little bracing just in case

Hey you're the one doing the work so if that's what you want to do then go for it! It won't ever be any easier than it is now, you've already done all the spot welds for the floor. Just make sure you take a bunch of measurements and pictures so that it ends up back in the right spot. Test fitting the torsion bars before you weld the floor back on would be a good idea.

Hey you're the one doing the work so if that's what you want to do then go for it! It won't ever be any easier than it is now, you've already done all the spot welds for the floor. Just make sure you take a bunch of measurements and pictures so that it ends up back in the right spot. Test fitting the torsion bars before you weld the floor back on would be a good idea.
advice well taken thanks

When you replace it spend some extra time and beef it up so the torsion bar mounts don't rip out of it after some heavy duty use. You can box in the top of the crossmember and then double weld the torsion bar mounts and/or add gussets to the mounts.

Installed the torsion crossmember, no big deal, one thing for sure that you must do is install the torsion bars while setting the crossmember to make sure everything is lined up, not a lot of wiggle room on the torsion bars so don't assume that you just have to set the new member in the old location. I dropped in the floor pan to check fit, everything lines up money.
60789598711__A221E715-2F7E-4908-8B04-A20B22EDD49C.JPG
60789424009__BFBC238C-83D9-429A-A7DF-E392D27D3EA4.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good, I'm doing the same on my 71. It looks like the only crossmember to buy is from AMD, is that correct? $349 is a bit harsh, any other suppliers with better price? Also, I've not found the transmission mount, did you replace that also? I can't find a supplier for a new transmission mount.

Looks good, I'm doing the same on my 71. It looks like the only crossmember to buy is from AMD, is that correct? $349 is a bit harsh, any other suppliers with better price? Also, I've not found the transmission mount, did you replace that also? I can't find a supplier for a new transmission mount.
I always use AMD products, quality has never been an issue for me, as for price everything on a restoration is pricey especially when you can no longer find these parts in your local junkyard, so the R&D involved with manufacturing new parts is quite costly for these manufacturers, most of AMD is manufactured in Taiwan where quality there is the same standards as Japanese Mfg. As for your trans mount Brewers Performance Products has them. One word of advice when installing the new torsion member make sure you install the torsion bars while mocking it up, don't assume that the original crossmember location is correct for the new one

I always use AMD products, quality has never been an issue for me, as for price everything on a restoration is pricey especially when you can no longer find these parts in your local junkyard, so the R&D involved with manufacturing new parts is quite costly for these manufacturers, most of AMD is manufactured in Taiwan where quality there is the same standards as Japanese Mfg. As for your trans mount Brewers Performance Products has them. One word of advice when installing the new torsion member make sure you install the torsion bars while mocking it up, don't assume that the original crossmember location is correct for the new one
So, when you fit up the new crossmember, I assume to insert the torsion bars into the new crossmember (with spring clips inserted) and then weld the new crossmember into place? I think would also dry-fit my new floor pan in to see if I'm ok in the up-down direction (crossmember height).

So, when you fit up the new crossmember, I assume to insert the torsion bars into the new crossmember (with spring clips inserted) and then weld the new crossmember into place? I think would also dry-fit my new floor pan in to see if I'm ok in the up-down direction (crossmember height).
Yes exactly, make sure you clamp or screw the crossmember tightly in place, then make sure the torsion bars move in & out freely without any binding, then weld in place, I did not pre-fit the floor pan, no need too because there is a lot of space for the new crossmember.

Use a tape measure. Measure where it is now and put the new one in the same position. There is only 4 spot welds that hold it to the inner rockers and not many to the rails. You'll want to make sure you measure the height of the rails as well. Cutting out this much you need reference points.

20200413_192154.jpg

20200410_171522.jpg

20200409_172023.jpg

-
Back