Torsion Bar Options

-
I wondered this too but figured the 1.03 may not be as popular as the smaller sizes. So that might be why the 1.03 is cheaper to buy.

Those that ordered their Bilstein shocks from PST... Did you get new hardware or just the shocks?

I have the PST 1.03" torsion bars and the Bilstein shocks (ordered to PST as well). I believe it came with all the hardware. The only hardware I don't think it came with was the specific washers that go on the lower shock mounts for the rear.

The torsion bars are probably the smallest I'd go. They offer a more predictable ride. The handling is much improved.

I would totally recommend the PST bars if that's you want better handling albeit with a little bit stiffer ride.

Another thing to add to your ride if you want improved handling would be the Hellwig sway bar set. I only have the front bar so far, but I'm thinking of getting the rear as well.

Just so you can keep your options open, check out this...

Firm Feel makes slightly larger torsion bars than the PST bars at 1.06", as well as more than slightly larger ones as well.
Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

Bergman Auto Kraft supplies Sway-A-Way torsion bars that are 1.08" for the A Body cars.
Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car

Remember... the bigger you go, the stiffer they are and the better shock they will need. KYB's won't cut it and you'll hate the ride quality.

I am searching for a set of bars for my 69 Formula S 340. I was about to go with the stock bars, but may change my mind after reading this. Would the 1.03" PST bars be a good choice for this application as well?

Thanks

Yes. Our bars are clocked so that you can achieve a quality ride that is not harsh but firm. More so like a modern car feel.

Thanks
James

Yes. Our bars are clocked so that you can achieve a quality ride that is not harsh but firm. More so like a modern car feel.

Thanks
James
Just a question: Do the larger diameter bars stress in any way the frame where the hex is to hold the bar from rotating? Assuming the car is not rusted......

No it wouldn't because the "stress" is derived from the weight that the bar is holding up like the engine and trans, . By increasing the diameter you are reducing the amount of torsional twist thus reducing the travel of the suspension in out of cornering. Hopes this makes sense.

Just installed my PST 1.03 bars this morning. Also doing at the same time, QA1 tubular upper arms. They showed up today. Hopefully this weekend I’ll get it all buttoned up and aligned. I’ll be reporting back with my impression of the handling with the new parts.

Thanks
James

Thank you for clocking your bars, we actually had a conversation years ago over this.

Well it's taken me two weeks to get back and report about my PST 1.03 bars. While working under the car I noticed my idler arm was shot. Grabbing the wheel front and back, and rocking it left to right back and forth, the idler arm was flopping up and down about 1/2".
Ordered a new Moog idler, nobody had one local.

So today I got out and took a spirited drive down a windy two lane road. And I gotta say, I love these new PST bars. Its just like James said in his post above. Feels more like a modern car, firm but not harsh at all, got rid of a lot of body roll. I would highly recommend these bars.

I was going to add a new sway bar soon too,, but I'm thinking maybe I don't need to. Stock sway bar with poly mounts and bushings, and these new torsion bars make the car feel so good.

I have the PST 1.03" torsion bars and the Bilstein shocks (ordered to PST as well). I believe it came with all the hardware. The only hardware I don't think it came with was the specific washers that go on the lower shock mounts for the rear.

The torsion bars are probably the smallest I'd go. They offer a more predictable ride. The handling is much improved.

I would totally recommend the PST bars if that's you want better handling albeit with a little bit stiffer ride.

Another thing to add to your ride if you want improved handling would be the Hellwig sway bar set. I only have the front bar so far, but I'm thinking of getting the rear as well.

Just so you can keep your options open, check out this...

Firm Feel makes slightly larger torsion bars than the PST bars at 1.06", as well as more than slightly larger ones as well.
Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

Bergman Auto Kraft supplies Sway-A-Way torsion bars that are 1.08" for the A Body cars.
Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car

Remember... the bigger you go, the stiffer they are and the better shock they will need. KYB's won't cut it and you'll hate the ride quality.

Thanks for the reply!

-
Back