Torsion bar size??? 74 Swinger

-

George Lawicki

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need some advice on what size torsion bars to get.. Here's my set up: Stock Gabriel shocks front and back : new General Spring 5 leaf springs in back along with rubber bushings : Going with all rubber bushings up front with a complete rebuild of the front suspension : car has a slant 6 but within the next year or two I am going to drop a 360 in it. SOOOO. Should I leave the stock torsion bars alone until I put the 360 in? OR can I install them now with the current six? The eventual build of the car is going to be a nice street/ cruiser car with maybe a run or two down the 1/4 mile here and there

Even a slant-equipped car can benefit from upgraded torsion bars. I’d upgrade to the .892/.893 size (think I saw some for sale recently)

V8 street car? Anything less than 1” bars are a waste of money. PST’s 1.03” bars are nice.

The /6 factory bars should only be used for track only drag cars. They were terribly undersprung even for a /6 car.

I ran my Duster around with 225/60/15’s, stock replacement Monroe’s and 1” Just Suspension torsion bars for a bit, it was still soft on the suspension and high on body roll. It would have needed at least a set of large aftermarket sway bars even for cruiser duty IMO. Still a big improvement over stock though.

Last edited:
You need to also add a front sway bar, at the very least. Torsion bars alone are not going to fix what ails the standard, non-handling package suspension...

yeah the idea is to install the torsion bars while I'm at redoing the front suspension. Ill have the /6 in there for a few months but hopefully over next winter I will have a 360 to put in it. I want a decent ride. will the 1.03 bars do well with a 360? I would like to find a happy medium ya know? for ride and the occasional run down the track? I will also look at installing some sway bars. The body rolls terribly lol

-
Back