torsion bar suggestion with a 5.7 hemi swap

New Hemi Engine Swaps

1. TheGreatGazoo

TheGreatGazoo Member

Local Time:
    12:22 PM
    I have a 66 valiant 100. i did a hemi 5.7 swap with a nag 1. any idea on torsion bars i should use? this is mainly a cruising car not a track car.

2. mvh

mvh FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    9:22 AM
    Well, it depends on what you want — bragging rights? Handling? A bone-jarring ride? First, what engine did you swap out — a slant 6, I'm guessing. What is the net weight difference of the whole engine/transmission swap? Again, I'll guess you didn't gain much if any weight in the deal, so from that standpoint you could keep the same t-bars, strictly speaking. But I suspect you would like to firm up the handling based on all the new power available. So, there are incremental steps from the factory slant 6 bars (.850) to the small block and big block bars (.870 & .890), then to the much larger aftermarket bars that most people seem to choose now (1.00 and up). Personally, I don't like to go overboard on the front spring rate — to me, it should be balanced with the rear spring rate (so you would need to beef those up as well... I think that should be a priority, really — you need to keep that rear end under control). Plus, in one respect all you are gaining with a higher front spring rate is anti-dive under braking — you can get anti-roll (which is what most people think of as "better handling") by fitting a good front anti-sway bar (which I strongly recommend). Don't forget good shocks, too. And I hope you upgraded the brakes...

Just to give you some real-world examples, my small block Barracuda FB was set up for fast road handling "on a budget" over 20 years ago. It has .890 t-bars, factory HD rear springs, front and rear sway bars and KYB shocks. My slant 6 Barracuda convertible has stock t-bars & springs, a nice Hellwig hollow front sway bar, and KYB shocks. I did a track day with the FB and it was very stable and even competitive considering the moderate tire size and limited HP. I wouldn't even consider taking the 'vert on the track but I do vintage rallies in it — it's not fast but it's predictable and it soaks up rough roads as opposed to rattling your teeth. Different strokes...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.