Torsion Bars types

-

Elís Máni

Reaction score
Hello!
I am fixing up the front suspension and steering in my 1973 Duster 340. I have two pairs or torsion bars. One set is the one that was in my Duster and the other set i got from a guy who repaced the torsion bars from his 73' Duster 318. Im not sure but i think he said he replaced his torsion bars at some point in the 80's and i have those bars now.

I was hoping you guys could help me out and tell me what the numbers at the end of the rods mean. Are they the same? wich pair should i use? Here are some photos.

Thank you :þ

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Looks like both are 890/891 bars. So, .85" diameter, wheel rate 101 lb/in.

Abodytorsionbar.png

Looks like both are 890/891 bars. So, .85" diameter, wheel rate 101 lb/in.

View attachment 1715338559
.85 is 318 car correct? Does that mean someone has changed the torsion bars from my orginal .87 or could it be that it came with .85 from the factory despite being a 340 car? Im pretty sure someone went through the suspension many years ago.

.85 is 318 car correct? Does that mean someone has changed the torsion bars from my orginal .87 or could it be that it came with .85 from the factory despite being a 340 car? Im pretty sure someone went through the suspension many years ago.

.85” bars were for 318 cars, yes. In fact, even the 318 cars with factory A/C came with the larger .87” bars.

So, if your car is a true 340 car it should have come with .87” bars. But mistakes definitely happened, and it’s very possible that sometime in the last 46 years someone could have swapped them out.

.85” bars were for 318 cars, yes. In fact, even the 318 cars with factory A/C came with the larger .87” bars.

So, if your car is a true 340 car it should have come with .87” bars. But mistakes definitely happened, and it’s very possible that sometime in the last 46 years someone could have swapped them out.
These bars must do for now i guess.
Ill most likly replace the torsion bars with new ones sometime in the future.
Thank you very much for the info :D

I found the 890-891 under my Demon 340… will change to the proper ones 892-893, i guess they didn't care much about that on the asembly lines.

-
Back