Torsion bars

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I know there should be markings on these, but other than that how can you tell left from right and front to rear. Purchased a set to replace mine and looks as though they have been painted red.
I haven't looked at the numbers on the end yet. Just opened these and have them on the work bench.

End to end doesn't matter but I install the numbers on the anchor end instead of the LCA just so i can see them later if needed.

IIRC, when Mopar parts are paired, the even numbered part is the right side. Warning, I have this written in my parts book but don't have it here now.

Are these used factory replacements or new aftermarket ones? If new aftermarket I don't think there is a left or right specifically. I have a pair of aftermarket ones with no marking at all. Factory bars, like the popular 340 ones (892/893), are marked, cast in on the bar end. Odd number being the left and even number being the right with the numbers being installed toward the back of the car.

It does say R or L on the end of the bars. As stated usually the numbered end with R or L designation and I always put the identification in the back easy to see. Keep in mind R or L means your R or L as if you were seated in the car looking down.

If your bars are aftermarket and have offset hex ends (the flats of the front and rear hexes aren't aligned), they are likely marked L & R on the ends somewhere. Large enough diameter aftermarket bars don't have the offset hex ends and there is no L or R specifically. Agree with LovetheA's comments regarding definition of L and R on vehicles. That clarification is important.

A-body torsion bars *1965-76 as follows #2535888 and 2535889 have a diameter of .83" only the 888 or 889 number will be on the end
#2535890 and 2535891 have a diameter of .85" only the 890 or 891 number will be on the end
#2535892 and 2535893 have a diameter of .87" only the 892 or 893 number will be on the end
#2535894 and 2535895 have a diameter of .89" only the 894 or 895 number will be on the end

-
Back